Lack of effort

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2017
I have wondered about this for awhile and the post below prompted me to go ahead and ask. If a player doesn't attempt to make a play on a ball that is obviously theirs, no one else can get it first, is that an error? Example: ground ball to 3rd that requires nothing more than a pivot and forehand catch. I don't mean a rocket, just a normal ground ball. I know that ss covers a lot of ground and might get to it but lets say they can't get to it and the runner is safe.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
An error, simply defined, is a failed play that could have been made with "ordinary effort". Contact with the ball isn't required. While mental errors don't usually count, I'm not sure why the failure to move on a routine grounder that goes right to a player wouldn't be an error.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
If it's that routine.....I can see where scoring it an error makes sense. Whether the error is caused by being tentative, indecisive, or not putting in the effort is what you (or coach) need to figure out for next time.

Jun 11, 2013
It would take a lot for me to give an error on it but not a lot to find a new player for that position if that happened a lot. They don't have to touch the ball to be an error but it's hard a to assume they can go x steps right of left and make the play unless they try. A perfect example is a high fly to the IF that drops between all the players. In most cases at least 2 of the player could have caught the ball but since no tries it becomes a hit. I truly believe there should be a team error and I think in the OP scoring should make it an error, but unless scoring rules are changed it's not. The problem with the ordinary effort clause is that if the P parent is scoring they would base it on how Ozzie Smith would have played it.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
The problem with the ordinary effort clause is that if the P parent is scoring they would base it on how Ozzie Smith would have played it.

Lol...this is often true for those who should know better. For those who've never fielded a ball in a competitive game, some eye calibration and experience is required. One of the better ways to gauge is to watch a D1 college softball game. You'll see plenty of things scored as hits that one would think were errors.

I'm not quick to assign an error at all, but if a routine grounder rolls by within a step, or a lazy fly ball falls where it should have been easily caught, it's not a hard call.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478