KT Tape for shoulder soreness

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
It worked for DD. Whether it was placebo or not....I couldn't tell you. But, she said it relieved some of the pain. So whether it was a physical aid or mental aid.....it worked to help get her through the weekend.

I watched some youtube vids on how to apply it since I bought some at one of our sporting goods stores. She's willing to at least try it.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
One of my parents is a physical therapist and puts KT tape on my daughter's knee before every tourney..... so i'm sure his MD says otherwise.

I'm thinking about trying it myself when I am at practice and at games. I have soreness sometimes in my knees and ankles especially when I have been moving around a lot behind the plate. But it's good to know a physical therapist uses it as well.

Jun 27, 2021
I would shut her down until the
I had to take my sister this morning for her pitching lesson with her coach at a local facility. After practice, she was complaining about soreness in her right shoulder particularly the back of her upper arm. She has seen teammates of her's using KT tape for sore muscles and minor strains and she had thought about wanting to use it, herself for her soreness. What has you guys' experience been using KT tape and did it work for you or your daughter? If it helps, she's been pitching somewhere around 32-37 innings in just about every tournament she's pitched in.
I would shut her down until the pain in the upper arm and back has gone away. If it does not go away, I would make an appt to make sure she does not have a labrum tear in her shoulder.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I would shut her down until the

I would shut her down until the pain in the upper arm and back has gone away. If it does not go away, I would make an appt to make sure she does not have a labrum tear in her shoulder.
We did rest her for a little bit and her pain did go down but not totally away. She did pitch in her final tournament including all 14 innings of a game that went into extra innings. She wore KT tape during the tournament and it did help her pitch longer. She is going to be going to my orthopedist to have it looked at.

Jun 27, 2021
We did rest her for a little bit and her pain did go down but not totally away. She did pitch in her final tournament including all 14 innings of a game that went into extra innings. She wore KT tape during the tournament and it did help her pitch longer. She is going to be going to my orthopedist to have it looked at.
Mine had similar issues and ended up being out 8 months, MRI, PT, surgery

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
She's played in every tournament her team has played in. She starts in roughly 70-80 percent of the games her team plays. But she plays in every game if not pitching, then she plays short.

She has tried to rest but not practicing or playing drives her nuts. To her, she has to be on the field contributing to her team. Her pain isn't debilitating or anything like that. But...she definitely knows it's there.

Without rest, the pain will just get worse. Then she will be forced to shut it down. I don’t see what age she is, but regardless, pain is from something. Probably over use, or something in her mechanica are incorrect.

Feb 1, 2021
I read this carefully wondering when the validity of KT would pop in. KT can definitely help keep things like the patella tracking straight. That is a great use for it. The other part that KT tape does is act as, for lack of a better term, a skin splint.

As an example of what it does, if you lay out a bath towel, then tear off a good-sized piece of KT Tape, stretch it out and then apply it to the length of the towel, what happens? It contracts and creates a bunched-up portion of the towel as it contracts.

That's what it does to your skin as well. Theoretically, it transfers that skin stretch to where the tape ends and creates a little 'tent' of skin over the joint. That reduces the friction caused by the skin stretching over a joint which can reduce swelling/pain.

Hopefully, that makes sense.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802