Kobata

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Cannot visualize step over..can you show video of somebody doing it? Is right to left, left to target (for a righty) what you are calling shuffle?
If I remember correctly he want the fielder (SS) to catch/receive GB nearer to the left foot and when gathering ball big step over (gain ground) with right foot towards target (1st base) and not shuffle/ heel click and never step right foot behind left foot. Too slow!

Dec 5, 2017
Also field inside the right foot. Foot and glove come down as close to same time as possible, pop towards the target with right foot. It seems complicated but from the first rep of practicing it, dd really liked fielding that way.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I've watched the Kobata style fielding drills a few times and maybe this is nit picking because in the drills his players are faster than most in fielding and getting the throws off.

However it seems to me the "POP" is a glorified crow hop in which his players are going upward and then forward which delays the throw. The other things that bother me are he pays no attention to accurate throws in his drills, and most infield drills seem to just dart throw the ball. In my opinion, one girl in particular had very poor throwing technique. I'm not sure that over time that's a good thing. Lastly he never says at what distance do you go from dart to regular throwing?

JMHO.