Know a pitcher who threw mostly change ups?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Ever use or face a pitcher who threw more change ups than anything else?
Any pitchers you know?

Not just talking about a slow junk only pitcher.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
My dd probably throws her change at least 2 times per batter. It’s her go-to pitch for a needed strike, 3-2 count, etc. When I called her pitches I’d call it more than most of her other pitches. IMO, her travel and HS coaches don’t call it enough but that’s for her to discuss with them, not me.

I do notice a pattern of more swings and misses and K’s when it is mixed in more.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
My dd probably throws her change at least 2 times per batter. It’s her go-to pitch for a needed strike, 3-2 count, etc. When I called her pitches I’d call it more than most of her other pitches. IMO, her travel and HS coaches don’t call it enough but that’s for her to discuss with them, not me.

I do notice a pattern of more swings and misses and K’s when it is mixed in more.
You available to call pitches for my DD?

I am encouraging my DD (14U) to speak to her head coach and pitch caller about his pitch selection for her. We are still relatively new to the team and he knows he has something different with her (spin and spot, down ball pitcher), but hasn’t seemed to figure it out yet. She has a good drop spin change up that he only seems to call in predictable counts (0-2, 1-2). She is not a hard thrower and needs to change speeds to be most effective, but he doesn’t seem to understand this. I like the idea of calling at least 2 for her in an AB (depending on strength of batter). This past weekend, probably by accident, he called a change up in a 2-2 count and batter’s knees buckled. Strike out looking.

Unless you are Monica Abbot, if you keep throwing the same speed and same pitch type batter after batter, any good hitter is going to time you up.

May 27, 2013
I think the issue with my dd is she will warm it up pre-game and it will be fine but sometimes when it’s early in the game and the adrenaline is pumping she’ll miss the zone with it. They then shy away from calling it instead of letting her settle in with it. Usually only takes a batter or two for that to happen, but missing the pitch 2-3 times seems to be enough for them to stop calling it, even when there’s been no bad outcome.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Many years ago I was coaching a team and we picked up an unseen guest pitcher for our 3rd game in pool play. She was so SLOW in warmup that I was sure we were going to get mercied. However I discovered that she could consistently hit the outside corner. We lost 4-2 and she frustrated the other team to the point where I could hear their coach yelling at his hitters in the dugout. After the game her father came over to me and said "You never called the change up, it's her best pitch".

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I started thinking of this topic because
Yesterday I went to a varsity High School game where the pitcher did a fairly good job through the first four innings.
( was told beforehand she only has four innings in her and sure enough the first pitch of the fifth inning it was obvious she was done)
They really don't have another pitcher.
The other teams start crushing at this point.
And the terrible team defense gets exposed. (they can handle dribblers, not shots)
My solution thinking is immediately change strategy and resort to something like 50% to 75% change ups and hit the farther off plate edges with wild'ish pitches.

There going to have to try something.
Every pitcher should have a good or usable change up.

Think there are times its the best weapon in the arsenal!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I think the issue with my dd is she will warm it up pre-game and it will be fine but sometimes when it’s early in the game and the adrenaline is pumping she’ll miss the zone with it. They then shy away from calling it instead of letting her settle in with it. Usually only takes a batter or two for that to happen, but missing the pitch 2-3 times seems to be enough for them to stop calling it, even when there’s been no bad outcome.
A shame they stop calling it.
Change up is a great pitch to miss throwing strike with!

Jun 7, 2016
Gourley just loved embarrassing people. Wish my DD threw more CU like that!
BTW, from games ive seen so far this college season, it sure seems like the CU has fallen out of favor (limited viewing sample for sure)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802