Knee health

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2019
Just wondering if anyone would like to discuss knee health in catchers and how to prevent issues? Are there any recommended supplements? Do most catchers when they get older end up getting arthritis or other knee issues?

16 yo DDs knees pop a lot, but she has no pain. Is the popping pretty normal with catchers? She stretches regularly and also lifts 3 to 4 times a week, just wondering if there are other things she should be doing too.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Doesn't completely answer your questions, but her time at catcher is limited. Two to six more years of catching depending on whether she plays in college or not. Beyond that is very unusual. Point being she will stop working her knees so hard while she is still relatively young.
Hopefully she's throwing back to the pitcher from her knees a lot during practices and games. Cut out a lot of the up/down up/down up/down...
I caught in high school and my knees would crackle like knuckles cracking every time I stood up. Knock on wood, they're still going ok at 51.
I'd be more worried if she wanted to pursue a career in trades such as flooring, concrete finishing, or landscaping. That is brutal on knees.

Aug 9, 2021
Nothing specific for a catcher, but proper stretching, strength training, general fitness and conditioning is preventative for all athletics. Dailed in nutrition trumps any supplement you could purchase. Just walking around the ballparks at tournaments, nutrition is clearly a mess for a large number of athletes.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Just wondering if anyone would like to discuss knee health in catchers and how to prevent issues? Are there any recommended supplements? Do most catchers when they get older end up getting arthritis or other knee issues?

16 yo DDs knees pop a lot, but she has no pain. Is the popping pretty normal with catchers? She stretches regularly and also lifts 3 to 4 times a week, just wondering if there are other things she should be doing too.
I'm 21 and I have crackling in my knees and no pain like your daughter. I don't forsee myself doing a lot of squats like I do now after my eligibility extension due to covid. If it helps...I do wear a neoprene sleeve where I hurt my knee playing field hockey.

I do take supplements. I take garlic to help my immunity, ashwanganda to help my mental clarity, a female multivitamin, and something for my knee health whose name is escaping me and I'm out at a local pizza shop so I can't check out the name of it.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk

Nov 15, 2019
I'm 21 and I have crackling in my knees and no pain like your daughter. I don't forsee myself doing a lot of squats like I do now after my eligibility extension due to covid. If it helps...I do wear a neoprene sleeve where I hurt my knee playing field hockey.

I do take supplements. I take garlic to help my immunity, ashwanganda to help my mental clarity, a female multivitamin, and something for my knee health whose name is escaping me and I'm out at a local pizza shop so I can't check out the name of it.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478