Just asking because I’m confused…

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
I do appreciate all the replies. They do help to somewhat clarify what the coach may have meant with the comment.

May 27, 2013
The phrase "pitch to contact" usually is associated with a kid overthrowing and hence missing the strikezone. Sandy Koufax was quoted as saying he became a better pitcher when he stopped trying to make batters miss the ball and instead tried to make them hit it (which they still didn't do very often after his "change of philosophy" )... The thing is he was wild early in his career..which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Another example with “pitch to contact” I’ve heard was by DD’s one PC. He told her that if she was pitching and wasn’t dominating a team with strikeouts, she needed to figure out how to “pitch to soft contact” by spinning the heck out of the ball.

To me that made a lot of sense.

Jun 8, 2016
Another example with “pitch to contact” I’ve heard was by DD’s one PC. He told her that if she was pitching and wasn’t dominating a team with strikeouts, she needed to figure out how to “pitch to soft contact” by spinning the heck out of the ball.

To me that made a lot of sense.
Yeah I added to my comment to say the coach may have felt your DS was overthrowing, even with the strikes, in particular overthrowing his curveball. Against a better team who is better able to hit breaking pitches that could be an issue.

May 27, 2013
Yeah I added to my comment to say the coach may have felt your DS was overthrowing, even with the strikes, in particular overthrowing his curveball. Against a better team who is better able to hit breaking pitches that could be an issue.

Gotcha. Yeah, I have no idea which pitches the coach was calling. DS does know that the ball that was a hit was on a changeup he left up too high. I also know it was about 40 degrees and windy as hell that day (first game of the season) so honestly I’m shocked he was able to throw as many strikes as he did.

DS used to be the kid that would take almost every batter to a full count - so this was a vast improvement for him.

Jul 31, 2019
IXDA0Hv.gif
Pattar, you lost me on this response.

Jul 31, 2019
EXACTLY!!!! I used to ask the pitchers I worked with "What is the best pitch you can throw?" The answer was always a "A strike." I would tell them that answer was wrong. Then I let them know the best pitch you can throw is a ball outside the strike zone the hitter swings at and misses or makes poor contact with. Once they understood that they started to think like a pitcher. Not a player who pitches.
In simular context, I'd ask my pitchers what they thought a perfact game is. Nearly 98% of the time the answer given is 21 K's. The correct answer is; "21 pitches, 21 ground ball outs".

Jul 31, 2019
That’s the thing. I wasn’t there either - the coach said it at practice the next day during his daily team speech.

Just to clarify, my ds wasn’t upset either, just more confused than anything as he felt he did well. He’s also a very quiet kid and is hesitant to question the coach.
Was the coach calling pitches off the plate, and she was not executing it?

Oct 4, 2018
In simular context, I'd ask my pitchers what they thought a perfact game is. Nearly 98% of the time the answer given is 21 K's. The correct answer is; "21 pitches, 21 ground ball outs".

Tough crowd. Can't the rise ball pitcher throw a perfect game with some lazy infield pop ups? :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45