Just asking because I’m confused…

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Coaches confuse me - a kid who threw 15/18 pitches for strikes was told they need to be more efficient - yet they K’d two batters and let up one hit and no runs in one inning pitched.

Am I missing something? And no, this was not my dd.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2015
So this is in regards to baseball but it can definitely apply to softball as well. My ds pitched an inning recently for his HS and the coach told my son he has to be more efficient with his pitching and pitch to contact. Umm…..he threw 15/18 pitches for strikes!!! What is he supposed to do if the batters swing and miss or hit fouls??! He K’d 2 and let up one hit.

I just thought it was such an odd statement. Am I missing something?

I don’t think there is much you can do there, that’s a lot of strikes. Sounds like the coach just needing something to say.

When my DD joined a new team, they told her the same, they were like instead of throwing 18 pitches per inning, let’s throw 15, attack the zone more. I was very skeptical of this. The point was that if you throw less pitches, you will be fresher/stronger later in the game/tournament. Fine. Turns out coach had a point and was right. Pitch counts went down mostly, and so did opposing BABIP. My DD was more of a strikeout pitcher, so opposing BABIP was pretty high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2013
I don’t think there is much you can do there, that’s a lot of strikes. Sounds like the coach just needing something to say.

When my DD joined a new team, they told her the same, they were like instead of throwing 18 pitches per inning, let’s throw 15, attack the zone more. I was very skeptical of this. The point was that if you throw less pitches, you will be fresher/stronger later in the game/tournament. Fine. Turns out coach had a point and was right. Pitch counts went down mostly, and so did opposing BABIP. My DD was more of a strikeout pitcher, so opposing BABIP was pretty high.

Lol - edited my post because I didn’t know if having the baseball part in there in a softball forum would cause an issue.

May 27, 2013

I definitely get the part about throwing less pitches and that makes sense in order to pitch deeper into games. He definitely attacked the zone though so that wasn’t the issue. If he was throwing a lot of balls I’d totally get it.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Not my DD, just parent talk. Coaches did not say anything.

Someone said P was pitching awful and needed to be be pulled. Another parent, does not even know the P, and says she is the only one doing her blanking job. Defense was struggling.

That shut them up. I agreed with them if it matters.

It can be tough pitching.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
DD pitched for about 5 years. Was a “pitch for contact” pitcher. Consistently would create pop flys and ground balls. She played in front of some weak defenses and would get pulled (or pitch count would get high) because they couldn’t get the outs.

But she also had plenty of games where she was inconsistent and would walk hitters putting herself (and the team) in a tough spot. Then an IF error would happen and result in a run (or three).

Our #1 goal every season, was 3-outs with 3 pitches. In her 5 years I think she did it twice. Once for sure. And she also had a couple no hitters where she managed to average 5-6 pitchers per at bat over 4 innings. Thank you defense.

One thing I learned while DD was pitching. They get praised and blamed for a lot they don’t actually control. Pitching is tough business. Aim for perfection, knowing it’s not obtainable. Build thick skin. Learn what to listen to and what to toss aside.

Edit: I guess my point is, could he have been more efficient? Maybe. But a lot more than just simply throwing strikes goes into it.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019
For me, pitch efficiency is more about minimizing pitch counts. I target 13-17, depending on the type of pitcher. Strikeout pitchers target < 17, GB pitchers with good control are the 13's. for that to happen, I target a 0.945+ defensive percentage.

Jun 8, 2016
For me, pitch efficiency is more about minimizing pitch counts. I target 13-17, depending on the type of pitcher. Strikeout pitchers target < 17, GB pitchers with good control are the 13's. for that to happen, I target a 0.945+ defensive percentage.
IXDA0Hv.gif

May 27, 2013
So if a pitcher is throwing over 80% strikes, what else can they do to make it so they “pitch to contact?” If the batters are swinging and missing or fouling pitches off that are in the zone what should change? I’m trying to just understand better.

Jun 8, 2016
So if a pitcher is throwing over 80% strikes, what else can they do to make it so they “pitch to contact?” If the batters are swinging and missing or fouling pitches off that are in the zone what should change? I’m trying to just understand better.
Who is calling the pitches? If it is the coach your DS should tell him to not call such a good game (I am kidding..kind of).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28