Jumping Into The Unknown

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 3, 2021
My Dd is currently on a pretty good 16u team. However, next weekend is their last tournament. Dd has had fun with this organization but after talking to the the coaches they told us that this would probably be their last year coaching due to personal reasons. In preparation for next year Dd has tried out for a couple teams.

Yesterday we got the message that the team at the top of DD’s list had accepted her. This team is really good and way better than anything dd has played for. So Dd is worried that she won’t be good enough for this team. I’ve been encouraging her to just join the team and jump into it head first because I know that if she waits too long then she might lose the offer to join.

Should dd tryout for the rest of the teams on her list even if it means losing the team at the top? The rest of the teams on DD’s list are all pretty good teams and they’re around the level dd has usually played at so she’s more confident that she would get to play for those teams. I feel like dd should join the really good team because she won’t get any better if she keeps playing at the level she’s comfortable with. Sometimes you just gotta jump into things head first. Do you guys have any advice that could help dd? Should she just go for it and accept or should she tryout for other teams more around her level?

Sep 7, 2020
My daughter has just accepted an offer very similar to your- just jump in and see what happens. I feel like they will either push hard to rise up or they won't and you look for another team next season. In the meantime she just might surprise herself!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2020
What sort of roster size does this top team have? What sort of playing time will she get?

You can accept the invitation and play on the top team and if things aren't working out for her go elsewhere in January.

Even if she doesn't get to play a ton this fall, the level of play at practices and the work ethic of some of those top girls can be very beneficial. And if she fits in and plays a lot it will be even better.

Some of the top teams though can be accused of collecting players so they don't face them. Plenty of great teams out there with 4-7 pitchers who only really ever give 3 of them circle time.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Jan 3, 2021
What sort of roster size does this top team have? What sort of playing time will she get?

You can accept the invitation and play on the top team and if things aren't working out for her go elsewhere in January.

Even if she doesn't get to play a ton this fall, the level of play at practices and the work ethic of some of those top girls can be very beneficial. And if she fits in and plays a lot it will be even better.

Some of the top teams though can be accused of collecting players so they don't face them. Plenty of great teams out there with 4-7 pitchers who only really ever give 3 of them circle time.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
The roster is probably around 12-16 girls but we won’t know the full size until the fall season starts. Dd really likes the coach and after a long talk with me and her sisters I think she’s going to accept the offer. She’s still nervous though. This team’s fall season begins pretty early though so if she doesn’t like it we should have plenty of time to look for a different team.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yesterday we got the message that the team at the top of DD’s list had accepted her. This team is really good and way better than anything dd has played for. So Dd is worried that she won’t be good enough for this team.
If the team has invited her to join, that kind of says that the coaches think she's good enough for the team. Good teams don't usually invite players who can't handle the level of play.

That said, it still has to be a good fit. My DD did not have a good experience with a top 16U team, but that's just how it worked out for her. We know others who are very happy on that team.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Ask questions! "Hello Mr. Coach, we are extreme thankful for the invite to join your team. I have a few questions before we do. Where do you see my DD playing on this team? Where do you see her in the batting order? What tournaments are you hoping to play in this upcoming year?"
Coaches often take on players as dues payers. Even good teams. If you see a roster of 23 on a 16U team some players are there to help with travel expenses. 12 to 16 players isn't too bad.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Trust me. Ask the hard questions. Rolling Hard outlined them above. How many other girls play your DD's position and are any of them coaches' daughters? What is the policy on pickup players (e.g., will they bring in "ringers" to replace rostered players with to win games)? How often will she play [name her defensive position] and how does she stack up with the other girls on the team who play that position? This is how you find out that teams have one main first baseman (for example), but five others who play 1st as their secondary position. Roster size is crucial and ask "Do you intend to bring on additional players over the course of the year after the roster is set?" Our team of 16 last year wound up with 20+ because he kept rostering people even though we had more than enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802