Job market in college softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
Yep.
Nice that there are some female employees who are paid correctly for their job. Her seniority is top notch!

Unfortunately it does not equalize the gap of all pay comparison issues.
Only reason brought up pay scale is because OP post is a consideration for a job.

Not on a bandwagon about this topic because I don't think gender makes a difference on who can get hired. But when considering a 'job' there may be some jobs that will pay more equally than others will.

(Considering how much a private instructor can make yearly is another good option in coaching and staying in softball! )
I'd be interested in knowing more about this pay gap. Is this between sports or between head coaches in college softball based on sex?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Is the question "Do women have an opportunity to coach in college?"

I'd say, based on the number of women coaching in college, the answer is obviously yes.

I have no idea if men get jobs over women for softball. Probably happens in some places. And some ADs might prefer to hire a woman. And nobody's ever gonna publicly talk about that.

As others have mentioned, maybe she won't get paid as much as a man. That's a different issue though.

The other implied question seems to be "Would girls (or young women) rather play for a woman or a man?" That depends on the individual. FWIW, at our school, we only have two sports at the HS level (girls volleyball and baseball) where the head coach's gender matches the gender of the athletes. I've yet to run into a problem because of that particular dynamic.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
So does it matter and if your daughter wants to pursue coaching after college. Does it limit her chances going up against males just looking to coach a game they didn't play.
You mean like Mike White (Texas) and John Bargfeldt (now at OSU, was HC at TU)? Both were pretty capable FP players in their day. ;)

That said, from what I've seen the last couple of seasons, male coaches in college softball are becoming an endangered species. The vast majority of teams I've personally seen over the last two years from JUCO to Div 1 are fully staffed by female coaches. The established male coaches aren't going away until they retire, but there doesn't seem to be a large number of younger male assistants to replace them. The only younger male assistants that come to mind as likely to eventually get a top softball HC job are Gasso's sons.

Oct 26, 2019
You mean like Mike White (Texas) and John Bargfeldt (now at OSU, was HC at TU)? Both were pretty capable FP players in their day. ;)

That said, from what I've seen the last couple of seasons, male coaches in college softball are becoming an endangered species. The vast majority of teams I've personally seen over the last two years from JUCO to Div 1 are fully staffed by female coaches. The established male coaches aren't going away until they retire, but there doesn't seem to be a large number of younger male assistants to replace them. The only younger male assistants that come to mind as likely to eventually get a top softball HC job are Gasso's sons.
I would have to try to find the specific numbers for softball, but across all sports and all divisions less than 50% of female sports are coached by females at the college level.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
* my first post where I brought this up was not regarding only Sports and *can affect multiple ranges of jobs.
I'd be interested in knowing more about this pay gap. Is this between sports or between head coaches in college softball based on sex?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Screenshot_20220908-070145_Chrome.jpg

* the reason I brought this up because the post title is about a job/ coach. Because there are other things within softball people can earn an income from... added this to the discussion.
Pay scale can be a good reason to select one job or another.
(Not on a bandwagon about it.)

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021
Did she say why?

Seems that would be good to ask her since it could impact her decision.
She just stated she never played for one, travel, HS. But her pitching coach and her pitch called in HS were both females and had a great bond with both. And as she started the recruiting process Pre-2022 class cut off, it was females coming to watch her play mainly. In the end she built bonds with all the coaches she dwindled it down to, both male and female. But for her she wanted to play college for a female coach. She is already in school in her first semester playing under a female.

Jun 27, 2021
Is the question "Do women have an opportunity to coach in college?"

I'd say, based on the number of women coaching in college, the answer is obviously yes.

I have no idea if men get jobs over women for softball. Probably happens in some places. And some ADs might prefer to hire a woman. And nobody's ever gonna publicly talk about that.

As others have mentioned, maybe she won't get paid as much as a man. That's a different issue though.

The other implied question seems to be "Would girls (or young women) rather play for a woman or a man?" That depends on the individual. FWIW, at our school, we only have two sports at the HS level (girls volleyball and baseball) where the head coach's gender matches the gender of the athletes. I've yet to run into a problem because of that particular dynamic.
Opportunity yes, they have the chance. But the numbers in women's sports will also be affected by the percentage of males interviewing for the same job. For every male in a coaching position, that is one less female coaching. Women although do get opportunities to coach male sports, you don't see a HC or the volume of asst. coaches.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I would have to try to find the specific numbers for softball, but across all sports and all divisions less than 50% of female sports are coached by females at the college level.
In 2021, 66% of all Div 1-3 NCAA softball HCs were female. 73% of ACs were female. There's a very clear downward trend in male percentages in both categories.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom