Job market in college softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2019
Who's doing the hiring? I work in a manufacturing job that's predominately male. Our manager is female, she hired our PE and safety coordinator both female. Small sample size for sure but I think the one doing the hiring affects the numbers. My daughter played for female coaches in college and it didn't make a difference to her.

If we had more female athletic directors and deans the numbers might change?

Feb 15, 2017
* my first post where I brought this up was not regarding only Sports and *can affect multiple ranges of jobs.

View attachment 26456

* the reason I brought this up because the post title is about a job/ coach. Because there are other things within softball people can earn an income from... added this to the discussion.
Pay scale can be a good reason to select one job or another.
(Not on a bandwagon about it.)
How do you know there is a wage gap when you don't compare the different fields of work independently? For instance teaching is a field that is dominated by females and engineering is a feild dominated by males. Would you expect a teacher to make the same per hour as an engineer?

That is just lazy math and doesn't mean anything.

I'd be interested to know if there is a pay gap between coaches in the same sport.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

May 27, 2013
Not softball coach related, but there has been a wage gap for years between male and female nurses, a profession dominated by females. Interestingly, it seems some of it might be attributed to females not negotiating their salaries before accepting their position. Males are more likely to do so.

Jun 27, 2021
In 2021, 66% of all Div 1-3 NCAA softball HCs were female. 73% of ACs were female. There's a very clear downward trend in male percentages in both categories.

Based on pulling numbers from NCAA Baseball there was 3 total female coaches (all 3 asst. coaches) in 2021

Is it safe to say, easier path in coaching for males to get into softball.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Based on pulling numbers from NCAA Baseball there was 3 total female coaches (all 3 asst. coaches) in 2021

Is it safe to say, easier path in coaching for males to get into softball.

If we're talking about the chances of males getting into softball vs females getting into baseball, I'd fully agree.

If we're talking about the chances of males vs females in softball, the numbers and trends speak for themselves.

Jun 27, 2021
If we're talking about the chances of males getting into softball vs females getting into baseball, I'd fully agree.

If we're talking about the chances of males vs females in softball, the numbers and trends speak for themselves.
I view it differently as the trend is slow, in 9 years HC went from 37% to 34% (2012-2021). Has been a 5% swing in asst coaches during that time with the increase of minorities coaching which has the males around low 30's consistently over the same period.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
How do you know there is a wage gap when you don't compare the different fields of work independently? For instance teaching is a field that is dominated by females and engineering is a feild dominated by males. Would you expect a teacher to make the same per hour as an engineer?
Was Not talking about % who works in what field.
Was Talking about the pay that can be different within the same fields.
That is just lazy math and doesn't mean anything.
Lol...🤣... doesn't mean anything⬆️ definitely made me laugh thanks for the chuckle. Since pay scale is relevant to income/ job it CAN matter.
I'd be interested to know if there is a pay gap between coaches in the same sport.
Do the google... lots of reports and stats.

I also included reason brought up pay is because the OP post is about a job. So commented there are some jobs within same employment category that can pay better. (That was the reason I added the comment.)
Perhaps you missed that comment🤷‍♀️

A person wanting to stay in softball as a job/income instead of coach,
might have the opportunity to make more money as say an instructor.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45