Jeesh, does anyone have anything good to share about HS softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
My younger one did until she got pulled up to varsity. Didn't much care for that coach, or the way he encouraged the girls to have conflicts with one another. Up until that point, though, she was having a grand old time.

Don't think the older one ever did.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We play HS ball in the fall in GA, but my DD has had a fairly positive experience. The coaching is not great, but she has started on varsity since she was a freshman. There is a group of six A-level TB players in the 2017 class and if they can stick together they should be good the next two years.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
My short random thoughts. Free! (Well close anyway). Built in weight room and indoor faciluties (for free). LOTS of practices (at no charge). Great fields (how many TB fields have seating for like 1000?). It's a great game, no matter where played. A day on the bench in the dugout is better than work, class, homework, and nearly every thing else....even if you are much better than the girl in front of you at ss, cf, etc.

Ok honest truth. A year ago I could have filled the other thread with things I would bitch about hs ball. Stepping outside myself and looking in, and stepping back and looking at my family's softball views, I was really leading us in a negative direction. My dd loved the game, but was gossiping with me more than talking love of the game. Obviously myself and all of the dfp posters are the most knowledgeable people in the sport :)....BUT that doesn't make every other coach bad, or as my dd was often saying "an idiot". Makes for a less than ideal life to think that a coach you spend hours on end with is an idiot.

You are responsible for your world. You can love the game and everything that goes along with it. You can love the hs situation even if it is not a fair system...and I truly believe if you respect/love the game it will pay you back. OR you can decide that the situations are causing you bad feelings, and decide it is not worth it. The "YOU" I am speaking of is your dd. MY job as a parent right now is to model and encourage my kids to give love/passion to everything in their life. Then if they decide that hs sports are causing them to feel too negative, I will give my thoughts for them to consider....but it is their world and they are responsible for it.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD is a freshman, so the HS experience is new. But so far she is enjoying it. The few drama magnets that we were concerned about are kept in check by a senior and junior laden roster with strong leadership. We have been pleasantly surprised with the coaching. DD was concerned at one of the first practices when an assistant coach was explaining how she should be "squishing the bug" at a tee station. But that was short lived when the head coach walked by and gently stated "don't mess with her swing, keep it like it is". Honestly, the biggest issue we have had is this )#*$& weather in the northeast!!!!

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my mind concerning high school sports at any time ;)

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
My DD is enjoying it at her new school. I say 9 out 14 players are friends off the field and I think it helps a lot with the chemistry. Her coach does a wonderful job to promote positive team.

Probably first time in ..... ever that I have not coached my daughter and I am enjoying it also. (I do help a little but just at their practices once I am done with my JV team).

Mar 28, 2013
DD is a freshman, so the HS experience is new. But so far she is enjoying it. The few drama magnets that we were concerned about are kept in check by a senior and junior laden roster with strong leadership. We have been pleasantly surprised with the coaching. DD was concerned at one of the first practices when an assistant coach was explaining how she should be "squishing the bug" at a tee station. But that was short lived when the head coach walked by and gently stated "don't mess with her swing, keep it like it is". Honestly, the biggest issue we have had is this )#*$& weather in the northeast!!!!

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my mind concerning high school sports at any time ;)

Had some parents come up to me complaining about the lack of coaching by the varsity coach, In my opinion its her first year and she is doing just fine.I just looked at them an told them a lack of coaching is better than BAD coaching. The kids are having fun, grabbed my lawn chair watched the games from beyond the right field fence.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
My DD's enjoyed playing HS ball. Freshman year in 01 my youngest DD played soph's with her sister. No JV at the school. They both played a lot. The 01 season the soph HC was an idiot and the AD got rid of her and the varsity HC. They won almost every game going away despite the HC. They both played Varsity from then on out. In 02 they won a State Championship with no seniors on the team while being a 1st year varsity program. In 03 they came up an error short of making to the state finals. In 04 they stumbled a little sooner.

They had a great coach who played the game at the D1 level. She knew the game and pushed all of the kids to be the best they could. She didn't take any crap from the players, but most importantly, she had their respect because she could still go out there on field and show them up. They were in the toughest conference in the state so starters played those games. When they were scheduled against weaker teams the 2nd string players almost always started and played the whole game. Every starter on the team played travel for a high-level program in the area. They all knew the game at a highly competitive level and worked REALLY well together on the field. It was fun watching them march through the schedule only losing occasionally.

If I had to put a number on it I would say 95% positive for my DD's. The team was the caliber of a high-level travel team. Most of the competition during the season was from other schools in their conference who were rostered with similar talent. This may not be the norm for many schools, but I think with a school that had over 4500 students competing against similar sized schools made for a pretty good softball situation in my area. The DD's school has been to the State finals twice since my DD's have graduated. So the teams keep reloading instead of rebuilding.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
DD luvs playing for her school. I just enjoy watching her play...rec ball, high school or tourney ball. It will soon be over then what will I do....I think I have a dog.:eek: