Jayleen - 14yo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Personally, I wouldn’t change anything. She gets good whip. Her swing is short and quick. Can cover most of the zone. 🤷🏽‍♂️
All in all, I agree and not looking to change anything drastic. Even her "misses" look good from the eye test. At this point, I think I'm trying to find the "what are we missing, if anything" piece now.

If I was going to change her swing it would be by doing drills that would help her incorporate her core/lower half. I wouldn't mess with it too much.

That makes 2 of you that think the lower half and core aren’t efficient. Please explain. I don’t see it
I'm very interested in this as well. Again, I don't know enough to argue either way. But if there is another piece that she can incorporate for more strength/power, I'm open to looking into it and having the discussion with her.

Or maybe it's simply to the point she needs to focus more on overall body strength (legs, arms, core).

Or "Dad" needs to stop worrying about "more" and let her continue to develop at her pace......

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
A couple from this week. Jayleen is being much more analytical with her at bats. Good or bad, she's thinking through what worked and what didn't. Not so much asking what I'm seeing, but more so talking out loud through the at bats themselves. She's being purposeful rather than SSDD and hoping something will change, which had been the case through as recent as this Summer.

Overall, to me, swing is remaining consistent and she's making adjustments based on speed and placement. Unfortunately, all of the JV pitchers she's faced are not the strongest. So I'm very curious how her swing will change based on a faster/more skilled pitcher, or if she's able to maintain it.

This one she "appears" to get a little more separation than in previous videos. I at least notice the hip driving more/sooner. Maybe it's just the video angle or the pitch being inside.

Part of her growth this year has been working to be more confident going for or attacking the outside pitch. From Summer until now we've gone from "only because I have to with 2-strikes" (and at best it's a single; most likely an out) to being more willing to attack them with success.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Jayleen wrapped up her Freshman season this week. I've mentioned it before, but we're fortunate that her HS program is very competitive currently. The JV team went 14-0-1. They could compete with most of the surrounding Varsity teams and probably be around .500. She finished with .500 BA, .548 OBP, .711 SLG, 12 RBI, & 11 R over 15 games.

Though she did slow down from her deeper hitting over the last two weeks. She mentioned she lost the feel and mentally wasn't seeing the ball as well. I've not had a chance to really investigate, but my guess is timing. Knowing her, a few weeks of no games (as Varsity enters Districts and (hopefully) State) she will likely reset mentally.

After the school season is officially over, she has two weekends lined up with her TB team and then we shut it down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802