Jayleen - 13yo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Finally! Some video from her front side. She hit two today. Luck was on her side and both were dropped. The wind was blowing in and towards the third baseline....creating a little chaos in the outfield.

We’ve not really had a chance to work on changing anything. She still sits back on the load way to early. We have had a couple conversations around timing and where she’s hitting the ball. I think she gets a tweak needs to be made but she’s hard headed when it comes to change. At least when certain changes are suggested by “Dad”. May need to have it come from her HC.

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Jayleen looks like a lot fun. She may enjoy doing this. I believe we underestimate the kids.

- EliteBaseball.TV- Letting Kids by Kids; figuring it out

Oct 26, 2019
The shift back causes her to sorta just “throw her bat at the ball”. She does appear to have pretty good hands and finds the barrel from the videos you have posted which probably contributes to the success she has had with that swing. Does she get “stuck” back there with faster pitching?

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Jayleen looks like a lot fun. She may enjoy doing this. I believe we underestimate the kids.

- EliteBaseball.TV- Letting Kids by Kids; figuring it out

She loves softball and has a lot of fun with it. Her current school team has been great because a couple of her good friends are on it too. The whole group is great.

Edit: I responded to this before watching the video. I agree with this and is something that the JH season has allowed her to do. The coaches don't micro-manage the players in terms of mechanics. They harp on the non-negotiable fundamentals and then only touch on mechanics if a girl is really off. I'd say all but maybe one or two girls (between both squads) have played some level of TB. So, it's not like the coaches are having to teach anyone how to swing and throw from scratch. But it's allowed Jayleen to have some freedom to figure things out. Now, the balance is helping her with what she doesn't know. Certain things she's admitted she doesn't realize are happening. We'll watch some video where she felt a struggle, point out the potential flaw, and then talk on a proposed fix. Then it's up to her to go figure it out. She's only seen a hitting coach 3 or 4 times simply due to the knee pain stemming back to November of last year. It's FINALLY gone. She feels stronger and more connected as a whole (her words). It may be until the end of her JH season until we can get back into hitting lessons, but so far this school ball season has been a big help for her.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
The shift back causes her to sorta just “throw her bat at the ball”. She does appear to have pretty good hands and finds the barrel from the videos you have posted which probably contributes to the success she has had with that swing. Does she get “stuck” back there with faster pitching?

I noticed that as well in these videos. I’m not sure how stuck she gets with anything fast fast. Typically she’s always been late with pitchers who are really good. She adjusts eventually. But, she really only sees faster pitching (right now) at her practices from the A-squad pitchers. The good thing is she’s not afraid of it.

At the end of the day she’s making good contact more than not now. It used to be grounders all of the time. She’s had two doubles (probably three if she was faster) in 4 games. She’s never had a double in any previous season.

I know she feels more confident at the plate just by her mannerisms. And she badly wants to see pitches. The kid wants to hit. So I’m just trying to continue to find ways/fixes that help grow as a hitter.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Finally! Some video from her front side. She hit two today. Luck was on her side and both were dropped. The wind was blowing in and towards the third baseline....creating a little chaos in the outfield.

We’ve not really had a chance to work on changing anything. She still sits back on the load way to early. We have had a couple conversations around timing and where she’s hitting the ball. I think she gets a tweak needs to be made but she’s hard headed when it comes to change. At least when certain changes are suggested by “Dad”. May need to have it come from her HC.

it looks like she brought her hands closer in at set up which seems to have cured her slight drag issue. The hands are active earlier and launch at the right time relative to the sequence. I would stick w that hand set for now. Or whatever you cued her to do.

but as far as launching on time, she’s a bit late w her pre pitch movements. I would cue her to start when the pitcher starts and time her forward move to the release of the pitch. Right now she’s a bit late. Just find HER timing within her movements.

the previous ABs had her much more back w her front heel up. Hands disconnected bc of it imo. The new move has her starting forward and getting slightly back of center. Not quite as much. Just gotta start at the right time so it flows on time.

first AB was ok. Change up right? Second AB she was late.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
it looks like she brought her hands closer in at set up which seems to have cured her slight drag issue. The hands are active earlier and launch at the right time relative to the sequence. I would stick w that hand set for now. Or whatever you cued her to do.

but as far as launching on time, she’s a bit late w her pre pitch movements. I would cue her to start when the pitcher starts and time her forward move to the release of the pitch. Right now she’s a bit late. Just find HER timing within her movements.

the previous ABs had her much more back w her front heel up. Hands disconnected bc of it imo. The new move has her starting forward and getting slightly back of center. Not quite as much. Just gotta start at the right time so it flows on time.

first AB was ok. Change up right? Second AB she was late.

Her hitting coach brought up the hands at set up during an initial lesson in January, but DD and I have not directly talked about it much since. No cues. I've been too afraid to screw something up there. So that adjustment was all her. Whether she realizes it or not. But, if it's a point aiding in her "success" then I can bring it up as a "continue doing that" topic.

We did have some conversations around loading so far back and causing issue with timing. So, maybe it was something she remembered to think about and tried to adjust. Talking with her hitting coach she explains it as "dance with the pitcher. Find the rhythm." And says that it starts in the dug out, continues on deck, and should be pretty close at the plate. We're still working on that sequence of events as well. I'll bring up the suggested timing cues on the start and when to move to forward as a starting point. Then let her adjust/figure it out from there.

I doubt the first AB was an intentional change-up. The opposing teams pitcher was new(er) to pitching. She really got hit around all game. She just wasn't throwing fast.

Thanks again!

Oct 26, 2019
I noticed that as well in these videos. I’m not sure how stuck she gets with anything fast fast. Typically she’s always been late with pitchers who are really good. She adjusts eventually. But, she really only sees faster pitching (right now) at her practices from the A-squad pitchers. The good thing is she’s not afraid of it.

At the end of the day she’s making good contact more than not now. It used to be grounders all of the time. She’s had two doubles (probably three if she was faster) in 4 games. She’s never had a double in any previous season.

I know she feels more confident at the plate just by her mannerisms. And she badly wants to see pitches. The kid wants to hit. So I’m just trying to continue to find ways/fixes that help grow as a hitter.
If she likes doing the “preset” she does do early then maybe just trying to keep her more inside of the back knee instead of posting the back leg and shifting back so much. Sammy Sosa comes to mind with the early preset and then forward move.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Hitting has ebbed and flowed. Last week she got ahold of a pitch early and sent it fowl down the 3rd baseline. Pretty sure it would have hit the fence at a minimum had she hit it fair.

This clip is from tonight. Her first ever triple. What I’m happy with here was that it’s a pitch that
wasn’t up on or a bit above her hands (which she actually likes).

Her lunge has started to creep back in. She’s aware of it but we haven’t had time to work on it at home. Looking forward to her school ball season ending so we can get back to lessons and re-tune some things.

Still many things that’s been mentioned in this thread still happening. But she’s talking about it and thinking about it. Baby steps.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Hitting has ebbed and flowed. Last week she got ahold of a pitch early and sent it fowl down the 3rd baseline. Pretty sure it would have hit the fence at a minimum had she hit it fair.

This clip is from tonight. Her first ever triple. What I’m happy with here was that it’s a pitch that
wasn’t up on or a bit above her hands (which she actually likes).

Her lunge has started to creep back in. She’s aware of it but we haven’t had time to work on it at home. Looking forward to her school ball season ending so we can get back to lessons and re-tune some things.

Still many things that’s been mentioned in this thread still happening. But she’s talking about it and thinking about it. Baby steps.

her lower half is really good. The issues she had before are gone. Good job. I don’t see a lunge. I see an aggressive forward move. And a lateral adjustment on a low and away pitch. very nice! Reminds me of the old school hitters. really powerful, compact swing. If you keep the energy between the feet it’s hard to lunge.

1619524140278.gif

1619523709629.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802