Jayleen - 13yo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Find this analysis interesting.

i may have missed it, who does he say this hitter is? She is one of the few i see get this type of separation. When i have tried to do this it seems to lose energy. This is the reason i have tried to look at all the k-vest data which some say isn't a big enough data set to be useful.

From what i recall, this hitter bombs the ball though.

Jun 8, 2016
i may have missed it, who does he say this hitter is? She is one of the few i see get this type of separation. When i have tried to do this it seems to lose energy. This is the reason i have tried to look at all the k-vest data which some say isn't a big enough data set to be useful.

Jocelyn Alo from OU.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri

Even if her separation is to a level that might not be achievable in kind....I think it still offers a great visual representation to the overall concept.

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Even if her separation is to a level that might not be achievable in kind....I think it still offers a great visual representation to the overall concept.
i tend to agree, i thought that i read somewhere that 'too much separation' may be an issue. i think it may have been a woman doctor or someone. i forget. She has come up on twitter recently. But maybe i am wrong.

I have always thought of it that the core is pulling but the hands need to be locked so as to not lose connection. The feeling i get is that i have no power when i do the Justin Stone drill that fires the hips. More of the check swing drill. I just cannot seem to draw enough power in series. It all needs to fire at once. I believe there is probably a delay in the barrel as it is a heavy weight you are trying to pull and like anything that 'stretches' until taught, then it will fire. I think there is a little of that, but i dont think it is a purposeful trying to 'keep the hands back'. I just really don't know, but is one of the biggest questions i have about hitting mechanics.

Jun 8, 2016

jtePIiP.gif

9oKEeE5.gif

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I see these elbows moving nearly at the same time, not as separated as the OU hitter. Maybe Jocelyn is the same but the camera angle may cause it. But if you take frame by frame can you show me that the hips start before the rear elbow goes down? I see these two hitters moving all at once, like the meshing gears. I consider the rear elbow going down the initiation of the top half for a lack of better terms. Or even the tip of the barrel.

Jun 8, 2016
I see these elbows moving nearly at the same time, not as separated as the OU hitter. Maybe Jocelyn is the same but the camera angle may cause it. But if you take frame by frame can you show me that the hips start before the rear elbow goes down? I see these two hitters moving all at once, like the meshing gears. I consider the rear elbow going down the initiation of the top half for a lack of better terms. Or even the tip of the barrel.
I am sure there are slight differences..maybe if Pujols and Pena had as much as Jocelyn they would have been able to hit a HR every 1.6 games too :LOL:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I am sure there are slight differences..maybe if Pujols and Pena had as much as Jocelyn they would have been able to hit a HR every 1.5 games too :LOL:
I guess i am more curious if you think this is something to focus on. Like the J Stone drill. Do you want to get as much separation as possible? And if so how does the 'system' retain the power of the lower half. Seems like it would leak power and expend off like stages of a rocket. When the lower power moves off, there isn't any to help the upper. my opinion of course, but always seems to be a talking point. thanks.

Jun 8, 2016
I guess i am more curious if you think this is something to focus on. Like the J Stone drill. Do you want to get as much separation as possible? And if so how does the 'system' retain the power of the lower half. Seems like it would leak power and expend off like stages of a rocket. When the lower power moves off, there isn't any to help the upper. my opinion of course, but always seems to be a talking point. thanks.
I don't think focusing on turning the hips is the right approach if that is what you are asking. Get into a good attack position as you move out (hips/shoulders square to the plate or slightly turned toward first for a RH hitter with front shoulder lower than back shoulder..actions to do this will vary based upon setup..)and try and maintain it as long you can while walking away from the hands (the amount will vary Betts and Griffey walk away a bunch) :

WriliDO.gif

jkG7HqO.gif

0plHrvm.gif

Fire your hands when your brain tells you to and I think the separation you are seeing will take care of itself for the most part 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood