Jayleen - 13yo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
her lower half is really good. The issues she had before are gone. Good job. I don’t see a lunge. I see an aggressive forward move. And a lateral adjustment on a low and away pitch. very nice! Reminds me of the old school hitters. really powerful, compact swing. If you keep the energy between the feet it’s hard to lunge.

Well, once again shows what little I know about hitting. Lucky then I didn't say anything! Good to know things are improving. The results seem to be coming more and more. Even line drives and grounders that she hits have more life to them.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Her stride is causing big problems.

In the first videos, she has a very short stride and did not get her head very far past her back foot. This is preventing her from being able to get her back hip around, so she ends up pushing her arms away from her torso just to get the bat around/ahead.

In video post#19 her head is in a good spot, then she reaches way too far with the front leg, resulting in a lunge.

She needs to learn how to stride.
Think about striding forward with the back leg, not the front.
It's OK to bring the front leg up, just keep the front knee toward the plate as long as you can. Don't let it roll over.

Do dry strides (in front of a mirror maybe) to toe touch:
1. Keep the back heel on the ground as long as possible
2. Make sure the head is just forward of the back foot (toward the pitcher) when you start
3. Coil hips and shoulders 45 deg inward as you go forward to toe touch
3b Try to hold that coil until about one inch before landing, where you uncoil to even
4. Land on a very bent front leg
5. Mark with tape where the head should be past the back foot (appr one foot), and look down after each stride

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Her stride is causing big problems.

In the first videos, she has a very short stride and did not get her head very far past her back foot. This is preventing her from being able to get her back hip around, so she ends up pushing her arms away from her torso just to get the bat around/ahead.

In video post#19 her head is in a good spot, then she reaches way too far with the front leg, resulting in a lunge.

She needs to learn how to stride.
Think about striding forward with the back leg, not the front.
It's OK to bring the front leg up, just keep the front knee toward the plate as long as you can. Don't let it roll over.

Do dry strides (in front of a mirror maybe) to toe touch:
1. Keep the back heel on the ground as long as possible
2. Make sure the head is just forward of the back foot (toward the pitcher) when you start
3. Coil hips and shoulders 45 deg inward as you go forward to toe touch
3b Try to hold that coil until about one inch before landing, where you uncoil to even
4. Land on a very bent front leg
5. Mark with tape where the head should be past the back foot (appr one foot), and look down after each stride

Tell me how you really feel. Kidding! - I do appreciate the feedback. I know these types of threads are essentially asking for free advice.

Not meaning to argue. But, can you expand on the "big problems" her stride is causing? I've found that including the "why" when working with DD at home is huge. So if I understand the problems that we're attempting to fix....the willingness to implement adjustments comes easier.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
" But, can you expand on the "big problems" "

Did you read the next two sentences?

They are problems, yes. Things that need to get worked on. But, she’s been having more success then previously while having these “problems”. How she is striding now is well ahead of last year. So, hence my question to clarify/confirm what you meant by BIG problems.

A big problem to me is something that’s going to cause an immediate backwards step or failure at the plate. That’s not happening right now, so I was trying to make sure there wasn’t something bigger going on or looming in the background.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478