James Madison Softball Player Lauren Bernett dies

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Can't assume that her death had anything to do with sports. From that standpoint, it looks like she was a good player having a good year. The last couple of weekends, up through her last game on Sunday, she was tearing it up at the plate. Can't make any assumptions, period.

We also can't assume that being successful on the field means that player is happy and doing well off the field.

Jan 22, 2011
The semesters I was the busiest in college were the ones I did the best, but I wasn't trying to be a college athlete, I just went to class, did my homework, did my workstudy job 8-10 hours a week my last two years, did some volunteer work my schedule allowed, and have some of a social life.

A College fan site I frequent notes a DI athlete can do well academically, be an athlete, or have a social life. Pick any two.

There is a mom who had a daughter a year or two older and a year younger than my DD in our rec league. I recognized her as an athlete and we talked some. I got her and another mom with talented daughters to be the two coaches of the league's 8u All-Star team one summer. Both of them were some of the best 8u coaches I saw at developing talent and keeping it fun for the girls. I felt guilty at the end of the season because of the grief some people gave them as female coaches that I didn't find out about until the following spring.... but that is another story.

She played volleyball at a mid-major D1 underneath a coach that won 2 national championships at her school (don't remember if she was on one of those teams), and that coach won a total of 5 national championships.

I asked her point blank, would she advise her daughters to play a D1 sport. She said no way in heck.... no time for a social life and getting a normal college experience. I asked her if she would play volleyball in college if she had a do-over knowing what she knew now. She said without hesitation she would in a heartbeat.

I know being a female student athlete is a good indicator of being successful after their sports career is over and personally know a couple managers who prefer to hire female college student athletes.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2011
People are sad/depressed for all different kinds of reasons. Speculation on cause, one way or the other, is irresponsible.
Agree. We just need to remove the stigma associated with people admitting they are worried or getting depressed and getting help, whatever the source is, or final straw is.

I don't want to go down the rabbit hole and possibly get a warning from our benevolent moderators. Let's just say having a computer in our pockets starting around 2008 has added stress and given people excuses to be less kind to each other.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
James Madison cancels rest of season. Can't imagine how painful this must be to family, teammates and friends. So heartbreaking.