Ivy League schools and softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2015
NW Az
If she can get into a Ivy school it's a done deal as far as I'm concerned! I think the education will pay far better than softball ever would.

Oct 3, 2009
Having been down this path I am not sure where to start but I would be happy to answer questions. A great book is Reclaiming the Game: College Sports and Educational Values. Bottom line like others said is your DD has to do her part and what coaches can do definitely varies. My DD is a pitcher and the best advice she got was your ACT is as important as your ERA. And be prepared to watch your DD say no to an Ivy early because she does not like the softball side of it. I think I actually puked in my mouth. On more than one occasion I sometimes wished she did not play softball even though we both love it. Finally she settled or I think she has but it is a very different and interesting path than what I hear from others. And do not forget the UAA and other D3 schools. The most interesting thing is if your DD talks to current team members they have all looked at basically the same schools. :)

Oct 3, 2009
Great quote! (took some liberties with it)

Honestly Rocket your version might have been exactly what the coach said and I gave the watered down version. The other quote my DD liked was the coach where she is committed said: "Some kids make a 4 year decision and some make a 40 year decision." Now I know she did not make that comment to knock any school but was simply pointing out all the parameters of a college decision.

The other observation that has hit me is I always told my DD grades and test scores were important to get her into the softball program she wanted. But in reality softball is going to help her get into the academic environment she wants. And finally I will say no one size fits all. And there are many, many ways to reach your goals. One of my favorites is how Riseballs DD got to her goal by just being determined and being willing to do what it takes. Great stuff.