Its Back Baby. Softball is in the 2020 olympics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
https://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-ex...yo-2020-package-of-new-sports-for-ioc-session

HE EXECUTIVE BOARD (EB) OF THE INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE (IOC) TODAY SUPPORTED THE PROPOSAL TO ADD THE PACKAGE OF FIVE NEW SPORTS TO THE PROGRAMME OF THE OLYMPIC GAMES TOKYO 2020. IF APPROVED AT THE 129TH IOC SESSION IN RIO DE JANEIRO IN AUGUST, THE CHANGE WOULD BE THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE EVOLUTION OF THE OLYMPIC PROGRAMME IN MODERN HISTORY.

The five sports — karate, skateboarding, sports climbing, surfing and baseball/softball — offer a key focus on youth, which is at the heart of the Games vision for Tokyo 2020. They represent a combination of well-established and emerging sports with significant popularity in Japan and beyond. They include team sports and individual sports; indoor sports and outdoor sports; and ‘urban’ sports with a strong appeal to youth.

OK maybe not quite but this is a huge step in the right direction.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
As I am reading this, they are back in for 2020 IF approved by the full council in Rio. However, they may disappear just as quickly for 2024 if not retained by the IOC or included by the next host city?

Good for 2020, hope it goes beyond

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
That is the way it works. Basically an exhibition sport chosen by the host country, Japan with no permanent status. If the next host country want to play keep away with a dead goat while on horseback...

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My DD qualifies for 8 passports... maybe an opportunity for 2020 or 2024 :) The timing would be right...

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
One of my good friends DD's has dual citizenship with Canada, and she is planning on trying out for their team.

My wife (who happens to be Canadian) says there are some rules about 'expressing' their wish to be considered 'Canadian' before they are 18 for those who don't actually live in the country but are eligible for a passport. Probably worth your friend's DD checking it out if she wants to head down that path.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Blah.

My wife's country of birth, Myanmar, doesn't recognize dual citizenship. Which means DW lost her citizenship when she became a US citizen, so our kids aren't dual either.
DW and her family thought it better at the time to be citizens of the Land of the Free than of what was then the world's second most repressive Communist dictatorship.

Looks like no chance of DD 3 playing for the Myanmar team, if Myanmar even forms a team.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee