Is this a Block or Fair Out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
The question at that point is this, did the runner have to alter her path? Generally, if the C is straddling the foul line while waiting for the throw to arrive, it is HIGHLY LIKELY she is committing/will be called for OBS.

Jun 22, 2008
Straight down the line.
56fc44d0bd69c6160c7b85c9de3230ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are posting pictures of a college game, as I have already stated the NCAA rule on obstruction is different and says the defender cannot be in the basepath without the ball. Completely different than every other softball ruleset in existence and was prompted by a call (it should be non obstruction call) in the WCWS several years back that got Lisa Fernandez ejected for bumping an umpire and pitching a fit.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Does the Mich rule prohibit them from touching the softballs as well?

(Rules 3-5-1 NOTE) Umpires do not handle equipment on the field during play. Contact with the game balls should be as limited as possible. There are several strategies to protect the student athlete from cross contamination due to exposure to game balls. It is recommended each state choose a strategy that best fits their specific circumstances.

Also this....(going to be a long spring.....sigh) INFRACTIONS BY THE PITCHER (Rules 6-2-3) Prohibit licking of fingers and wiping them off. Pitchers are not allowed to put their hands to their mouths or blow into their hands prior to pitching the ball (remember, this is Michigan in April, 40 degrees is not uncommon) . This will be a “no pitch." Any umpire is permitted to make this call. The ball should be called dead immediately and it will be a "no pitch." Ball goes to the dugout for sanitizing, pitcher sanitizes hands before play continues

In addition, if a HC wants to come out to discuss a ruling, in addition to being masked, maintaining 6 feet and doing so only at the foul line, they need to have a conference available(edit for clarification off or def conf as appropriate). If the ruling is not overturned, the conference is lost (think time-out for a coach's challenge in the NFL)

Mar 6, 2016
(Rules 3-5-1 NOTE) Umpires do not handle equipment on the field during play. Contact with the game balls should be as limited as possible. There are several strategies to protect the student athlete from cross contamination due to exposure to game balls. It is recommended each state choose a strategy that best fits their specific circumstances.

Also this....(going to be a long spring.....sigh) INFRACTIONS BY THE PITCHER (Rules 6-2-3) Prohibit licking of fingers and wiping them off. Pitchers are not allowed to put their hands to their mouths or blow into their hands prior to pitching the ball (remember, this is Michigan in April, 40 degrees is not uncommon) . This will be a “no pitch." Any umpire is permitted to make this call. The ball should be called dead immediately and it will be a "no pitch." Ball goes to the dugout for sanitizing, pitcher sanitizes hands before play continues

In addition, if a HC wants to come out to discuss a ruling, in addition to being masked, maintaining 6 feet and doing so only at the foul line, they need to have a conference available(edit for clarification off or def conf as appropriate). If the ruling is not overturned, the conference is lost (think time-out for a coach's challenge in the NFL)

WOW WOW WOW!! Gonna be a lot of "no pitches" possibly called. Players/pitchers do that almost subconsciously just based on their body doing it over and over for years. Damn. And I thought Calif was being strict. Then again, I think most of those new rules in Mich are to cover their butts as much as possible.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
And the rules, even though they have changed to try to help safety, dont prevent collisions.
Yet promote who's at fault...
(apparently ;) )

This was a none issue that players contended with knowingly.
20210331_070640-2.jpg
Ball at left edge of photo.
.........plate behind me
The throw was up the line... a little. ;)

imagine how folks nowadays would freak out seeing this play.
Back then the umpire would have said,
'its a ball game folks!'

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
WOW WOW WOW!! Gonna be a lot of "no pitches" possibly called. Players/pitchers do that almost subconsciously just based on their body doing it over and over for years. Damn. And I thought Calif was being strict. Then again, I think most of those new rules in Mich are to cover their butts as much as possible.
How is Michigan allowed to play basketball? This is a ridiculous rule for softball ...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478