Is the disorganization just something we need to get used to?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Not every team or organization values what you're craving. As a business person myself, it drives me insane when the coaches are not organized.

I was the GM of a small softball organization a few years back. I required my teams to use TeamSnap to communicate with their families. I had one coach who wouldn't use it because "My families have been together for five years, and they prefer texts." Well, I did all the scheduling in TeamSnap for him in year one, and while it was extra work, I felt it was necessary. At the end of the season, I put out an anonymous survey of what worked and didn't, and overwhelmingly the parents loved TeamSnap.

Currently, my younger daughter's coach is horrible at communicating. He sends call time and uniforms after the majority of the girls have gone to bed. Having two playing at once makes it really important to know the when and where, and to not do that for families is just rude and inconsiderate.

Jul 3, 2013
I think parental involvement is crucial to prevent issues like this. Three potential options for bettering your team's communication- Volunteer to help the coach, volunteer to help the coach find someone else to help the coach, or get someone else to do one of the first two options.

Almost everyone involved with a 10U team is going to be fairly new to TB. The coaches are often parent/coaches, learning as they go. They need help.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
What exactly are you having a hard time with? Scheduling, Uni's, Practices, Pre game warm ups, fundraising? I found at the younger age divisions, teams are not as organized with regards to tourney scheduling. The tourneys are often Program/Team fund raisers and don't happen every year. Some do, Some don't. At the older ages, you can almost count on teams entering the same tourneys every year and most of the time a coach can send out the schedule a season in advance with a few changes here and there.

Practices should be predictable, tourney game times not as much with the game schedules coming out earlier in the week. For well organized tourneys, I could usually see game times before the coach sent them out.

Back in 10U, I had a parent that couldn't understand how tourney games worked. If we were behind schedule or if the games got moved, rain delay..whatever, his brain couldn't handle it. I told him That's Softball and shrugged my shoulders. You gotta go with the flow bro.

Apr 27, 2020
Daughter is starting 10u travel with a new team this season. The main reason we decided not to stay with her previous team is because we didn’t feel the coaches were skilled in developing any of the players, including their own daughters. Good people, just not good coaches/teachers.

In addition, the past year was full of miscommunication and relying on word of mouth to figure out when changes were made to the calendar, because the calendar itself was never updated. For all the parents, it was like pulling teeth trying to get simple questions answered, and they often never were answered in the end.

Our new team is part of a much larger organization, one that at first glance seemed like we wouldn’t have these same organizational issues. Unfortunately, so far it almost seems worse. I’m 100% confident that the coaching will be superior and that game-wise, this is where we want to be.

My question is, is this normal? Are “organized sports” actually a complete mess most of the time in terms of administrative support? Coming from a strong business background, it’s kind of mind blowing to me that these organizations have operated like this so long . Nothing is streamlined, there are no SOP’s. Everything just runs willy nilly.

Like I said, we’re happy with the sports side of it, which obviously is most important, but as a type-A business woman, the back-end stuff has been maddening!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not all teams even within an organization function the same or have the experience that leads to the issues you are describing.

With that said, The issues you are describing are found in all aspects of life and business not just sports.

Some coaches/organizations are much more proficient at all aspects of coaching organization, communication and accounting and then there are some coaches that are still learning all the aspects of coaching (especially at the younger ages 8U-12U).

I find that teams/organizations that struggle filling the ranks with experienced and proven coaches tend to bring on non parent recent college graduates, current players or parents that have a year or two of recreational coaching experience and are not given adequate support to run a travel team even at at 10U level thus parent issues.

The larger organizations have staff, organization officers or team managers to help with the business side of the sport.
Most of your established programs have parent roles like score keeping and stats, hotels/travel, fundraising/sponsorships, tournament snacks etc. to ease the burden on coaches. These more established or larger organization / teams coaching roles are mainly focusing on organizing practice locations and practice plans/skill development, equipment management, managing games, scheduling tournaments rostering, sanctioning and insurance.. At the older ages you will find some teams have a college recruiting/profile manager etc.

Hope you find a good fit.
There are good teams at all levels just make sure to ask questions about coaching experience, credentialing, ask to see practice plans, team accounting spread sheet or some type of organizational chart. and preferred means of communication etc. your good organizations will be transparent in all areas so parents can make educated choices on team placement.

May 29, 2015
You mentioned "being part of a larger organization". Keep in mind that is no different than franchising a McDowell's restaurant. The larger org will provide tools and hopefully try to maintain some control over the way their brand is being portrayed ... but you can still get crappy service, soggy fries, and dried out chicky-nuggs when the store manager thinks he knows better.

Yes, unfortunately. Get used to the disorganization. When you find a well-run org, you will be that much happier! Seriously though, most travel teams are not run like businesses. They are run like the hobby of dad's that it is.

I also agree with the comments on volunteering to become their business manager. This could be a great experience for you and will make you more valuable when you decide to move on (yes, you probably will). You could even possibly negotiate to save a few bucks on your fees.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I've found that whatever makes someone a good teacher sometimes inhibits good organization and planning. I'm also a "type-A" get out front of things kind of person. To a degree, you need to learn to go with the flow. You can also volunteer to help with some of the admin work, which will put you closer to the "boss" and allow you to influence events.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee