Is it unreasonable to assume that club coaches will develop hitting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Hitting is a skill just like pitching. If you want to be good at it you have to work at it. You wouldn't expect her to learn to pitch from just team practice so you shouldn't expect her to learn to hit by just team practice.

This ^^^ 100%. Nailed it.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Regarding skill development...

It is not uncommon for high-level TB teams (particularly 14U and older, but I've seen it at younger ages, too) to do very little work on individual skill development. Practice time is spent on improving player interaction and game smarts. Players are expected to work on skill development on their own. Slack off on the outside work, and it's pretty likely you will lose your starting spot to another player who has done the work to pass you up. It can seem kind of brutal, but a little internal competition can benefit the team. Starting players are fighting to keep their spot, and #2 players are fighting to take it. Meanwhile, everyone is getting better.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Regarding skill development...

It is not uncommon for high-level TB teams (particularly 14U and older, but I've seen it at younger ages, too) to do very little work on individual skill development. Practice time is spent on improving player interaction and game smarts. Players are expected to work on skill development on their own. Slack off on the outside work, and it's pretty likely you will lose your starting spot to another player who has done the work to pass you up. It can seem kind of brutal, but a little internal competition can benefit the team. Starting players are fighting to keep their spot, and #2 players are fighting to take it. Meanwhile, everyone is getting better.

100%
Softball/baseball are the most individualistic team sports around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD's former team did more live hitting than anything. Usually in groups of 3 while the team played defense. I will say it drove me bonkers when the girls did not take the initiative to get properly warmed up such as side toss or hitting off a tee before they got in the on deck spot. They basically walked up cold. The coach didn't tell them to do it either. He was more of pitcher's coach than a hitting coach. He never coached them on hitting but he sure "coached up" the pitchers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28