Is it ok to skip 16U?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I personally think 16U is the most important years for competitive softball from a college perspective. 18U is split between high school seniors and a few juniors and college freshman. Most of the showcase tournaments don't allow college players or don't even have 18U tourneys.

As a father of a young 18U player that will be playing in college with one year of 18U remaining, these facts were pretty hard to take. My DD and several others may essentially be kicked off the team so the rest can go play big showcase tourneys.
What? This makes absolutely no sense at all. It is highly unusual to see a college player playing on an 18U team. I have seen it done twice, but that coach plays in lower level tourneys and wants to win instead of showcasing his own players. Every single reputable college showcase has an 18U division. Please show me one that doesn't. Players getting kicked off a team because they are 18? What team is your DD on and where do you live?

Feb 1, 2021
What? This makes absolutely no sense at all. It is highly unusual to see a college player playing on an 18U team. I have seen it done twice, but that coach plays in lower level tourneys and wants to win instead of showcasing his own players. Every single reputable college showcase has an 18U division. Please show me one that doesn't. Players getting kicked off a team because they are 18? What team is your DD on and where do you live?

Hmm, 'matter of fact' responses like this are pretty frustrating. Obviously all of our experiences are different but I'm going to have to leave you to do the specific showcase research. That said, Triple Crown, in fact does not allow college players in at least several of their showcases. Pretty sure TC would be considered 'reputable' right?

Regarding 18U showcases, YES some of the very largest showcases in my area (Upper Midwest) do in fact not have an 18U groups. That's not to say they completely shun 18U age players. Some may have an 18U showcase with a different name at a different location, but its actually not unusual at all. Honestly, in my area, there aren't a lot of 18U teams period. The top competitive teams fragment or no longer exist at 18U for the exact reasons I mention.

COVID and the funding cuts have changed more then you may realize. College players in the past may have not come back previously after playing a 55 game college season. This season, and the forseeable future will have about 30 to 35 games. My DDs soon to be college coach has encouraged her to play travel after her freshman season if she was physically able to do so. However as I stated, after discussion with other parents on our club team and the coaches, it appears now she will not be able to go back to her team.

By 'kicked off' I don't mean in an emotional red faced tantrum. If you are not eligible to play in the majority of the tourneys they want to play in, the outcome is pretty clear. You spot is needed for someone else that can play.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hmm, 'matter of fact' responses like this are pretty frustrating. Obviously all of our experiences are different but I'm going to have to leave you to do the specific showcase research. That said, Triple Crown, in fact does not allow college players in at least several of their showcases. Pretty sure TC would be considered 'reputable' right?

Regarding 18U showcases, YES some of the very largest showcases in my area (Upper Midwest) do in fact not have an 18U groups. That's not to say they completely shun 18U age players. Some may have an 18U showcase with a different name at a different location, but its actually not unusual at all. Honestly, in my area, there aren't a lot of 18U teams period. The top competitive teams fragment or no longer exist at 18U for the exact reasons I mention.

COVID and the funding cuts have changed more then you may realize. College players in the past may have not come back previously after playing a 55 game college season. This season, and the forseeable future will have about 30 to 35 games. My DDs soon to be college coach has encouraged her to play travel after her freshman season if she was physically able to do so. However as I stated, after discussion with other parents on our club team and the coaches, it appears now she will not be able to go back to her team.

By 'kicked off' I don't mean in an emotional red faced tantrum. If you are not eligible to play in the majority of the tourneys they want to play in, the outcome is pretty clear. You spot is needed for someone else that can play.
Think the point orangesocks was making, of which i agree...
Was to your other comment about college players going back and still playing 18u.

Doesnt happen hardly at all.
And is NO factor to 18u teams showcasing/playing time because it is so rare unusual..

18u is a very large and active playing division.
That can even include young players who are 14.

Feb 1, 2021
Think the point orangesocks was making, of which i agree...
Was to your other comment about college players going back and still playing 18u.

Doesnt happen hardly at all.
And is NO factor to 18u teams showcasing/playing time because it is so rare unusual..

18u is a very large and active playing division.
That can even include young players who are 14.

Prepare for that to change now with COVID. I see tournaments coming for JUST college players in the near future. If there is a market, someone will show up to monetize it. That market is developing as we speak.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
It is highly unusual to see a college player playing on an 18U team. I have seen it done twice, but that coach plays in lower level tourneys and wants to win instead of showcasing his own players.
You described the Coach's motivation here accurately... a desperate attempt to win, not development or a team mentality is at play. Happened all too often, still does.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
And just to expand further....many college players will have far less than 20 games under their belt from this season. That's after being shutdown last summer also. These athletes just want to play some games while they have time left and meet the age requirements.

Jun 19, 2016
I am thinking with the new recruiting rules that girls that are born Sept 1st -Dec 31th cannot even sign with D1 until they are already in 18U. I don't think this is a reason bit to play 16U but I wonder if it makes getting recruited harder for these girls born in the later half of the year. I have actually asked some of the local USSSA people of they would ever change age groups to natural school ages (not held back) but they said it will never happen.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Prepare for that to change now with COVID. I see tournaments coming for JUST college players in the near future. If there is a market, someone will show up to monetize it. That market is developing as we speak.
That is a different age division.
Older than 18u
Which BTW already exists.
Pre covid

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Annnnnnd again, where you come from that may be true. Here, no.
Not certain why your interest is limited to what ever area you live?
Travel is travel.
Not limited to where you live.

There are fewer 23u leagues/teams overall than any other division.
Simply they already exist is the point.

Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802