Is it ok to skip 16U?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2020
My DD is a good Frosh Catcher. Is it ok to skip 16u and go right to 18u? Want to play 16u but no spot in the organization at that level. She would be fine at 18u skill wise. Just wondering about recruiting, etc. Is it detrimental to not play 16u? Let me add that she has been playing 14u and 16u since she was 12.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes its ok!
College bound i'm guessing?
Her travel schedule is key to showcase appropriate college goals (academically or athletically).
Along with her efforts contacting colleges.
*Knowledgeable travel coach with previous years experience helping recruitment suggested!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
18U is a more difficult age for recruiting. Many kids are already committed so teams aren’t looking for as many showcases and coaches don’t attend as many 18U events for that same reason.
While i do agree there are more eligible players to recruit in 16u...
Simply because they havent been recruited yet...
Wouldn't say its harder/easier
16's or18's.

D2's & D3's generally dont make offers until senior year.
With academic test scores.

Teams who already have recruited players on them
*already have college coaches watching the team!

imo its about
Players own communicating to colleges.
Team Schedule fits individuals goals.
Coaches ability to assist connecting.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2013
The chance to work with college committed pitchers as a freshman in HS is an extraordinary opportunity. Take it.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My DD is a good Frosh Catcher. Is it ok to skip 16u and go right to 18u? Want to play 16u but no spot in the organization at that level. She would be fine at 18u skill wise. Just wondering about recruiting, etc. Is it detrimental to not play 16u?

Not detrimental at all. She needs to play at the highest level where she can *play* (not sit the bench).

"Getting recruited" is mainly about (1) your DD's skills and (2) getting the college coaches to notice your DD.

The main way to get college coaches to notice your DD is through emails, videos and visits to campuses. You send emails and videos to the coaches, and ask them to come watch her play.

The odds of a college coach wandering by a softball game at an exposure tourney and saying, "I need *HER*" are about 1,000,000 to 1.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
I'm with MNDad on this one. Everything I've experienced and asked about (DD is first year 16) is to play 16U ball if they have aspirations to play in college. Anecdotally, A friend who did what you are suggesting regretted the decision.

May 11, 2018
where we live 16u is mostly made up of girls who couldn't make 18u teams. so most girls who are good go from 14u to 18u

Jun 11, 2012
where we live 16u is mostly made up of girls who couldn't make 18u teams. so most girls who are good go from 14u to 18u
Are you in the NorthEast? Here no one really plays 16u and there’s plenty of coaches at 18U showcases.
If she goes to 18u make sure she is playing predominantly showcases not tournaments.
DD played on year of 16U which would have been her second year of 14U eligibility wise. She did it because she needed a confidence building year after an experience with a really bad coach who told her she’d never hit the ball out of the infield. (Ironically, said coach’s younger daughter just committed to the school DD plays for and she’s top 3 for extra base hits and leads the team in triples)

Jul 2, 2013
18U is a more difficult age for recruiting. Many kids are already committed so teams aren’t looking for as many showcases and coaches don’t attend as many 18U events for that same reason.

I generally agree with this. Which is why my DD is playing her second year of 16U right now. But with Covid, it seems like recruiting is a year behind. DD is a 2023 and everyone is still looking for 2021 and 2022.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2