Interpreting camp invite emails

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2013
I was shocked at how many 2020s weren't signed last summer (much less this fall) after everything I had heard in prior years. I know several 2020s who just signed in November and I had been lead to believe that wasn't even possible. No, none of these were P5 schools, but I have still been surprised how many opportunities are available much later than I had been lead to believe.
You can't technically sign an NLI until senior year...so no 2020's were officially signed until this fall. It would all be verbals prior to 11/13/19 which was the first time a 2020 could sign an NLI for softball.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I was shocked at how many 2020s weren't signed last summer (much less this fall) after everything I had heard in prior years. I know several 2020s who just signed in November and I had been lead to believe that wasn't even possible. No, none of these were P5 schools, but I have still been surprised how many opportunities are available much later than I had been lead to believe.
Signed and Verbally Committed are two different things. Most 2020 players that are committed SIGN in November.

Apr 28, 2014
After September of Junior year players can speak directly to D1 coaches. At that point it should be pretty clear if there is sincere interest on both sides. Now the coach may say they need to see more but overall the player should know if there is a good possibility. Waiting until senior year runs the risk of little money, or little interest by schools. I have seen more passive families versus aggressive families. DD was sending out a ton of emails from Freshman year on up to September first of this year. Can't sit back and wait. You may lose the golden opportunity.

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
Lot's of good info on here. Does she have a favorite school? If so, go camp early and often. As Riseball said "If your DD is truly interested in one of the schools I would encourage attending their camp. That way down the road she will be the kid who has been coming for a couple years so they know her interest is genuine. They have also seen her progress which makes projecting her at the next level much easier. "

I would say a great majority of kids are initially "found" at a camp. Don't break the bank, but attend as many as you can.

May 27, 2013
One way that helped my dd figure out if she was receiving mass camp emails or not was by using two different email addresses. Some showcases request player emails when the team is entered so they can add it to a player profile booklet. While dd would list a legit email, it was different from the one she would use to email coaches directly. Im not certain, but it seemed like within a few weeks of being at showcases or doing an NFCA camp the emails would start rolling in, leading me to believe you automatically get put on a mass mailing list. It at least helped dd sort through emails quicker by using two different email accounts.

Like others have said, have your dd pick a few camps for the schools she has a legitimate and realistic interest in and attend them. If she keeps emailing them and she sees them at some of her games, then there is a true interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802