Interference Rule on Slide into Catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
I was being silly bringing up more car accident junk...and deleted as to not come across as snarky.
;) because i wouldnt want anyone to think i was intentfully being disrespectful :)

But it is freakin hillarious to me how people simply dont want to accept even umpires will see things differently.
That in-itself says

Control what we can control.

Basically Simple result oriented suggestion!
I like a good analogy!

And I appreciate what what you are saying.

But I think this play is unethical, illegal, and had the potential for serious injury to the catcher and I do not find that acceptable in any way.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
For a second here, let’s pretend we are in an imaginary world where there isn’t a photo of a runner changing direction toward the front of the plate and trucking a catcher a foot or so in front of the plate. We will pretend that the entire plate isn’t available to the runner.

This is hs softball. The catcher has about a 99% chance of never having the benefit of a catching lesson with a paid catching coach. She and every coach she has ever had probably have no idea what proper mechanics are. They probably all think hers are pretty good.

Not everyone has perfect mechanics. Most have never been taught. That doesn’t mean it’s ok to have your legs taken out. In front of the plate. Where 99% of RUNNERS DON’T RUN.

Dirty.
Hypothetically

50/50 its going to be how the umpire see's it.

50/50 the players know what they are doing or not.

50/50 pure revenge

Got a solution yet? :)

Dec 11, 2010
How about another analogy….

A catching instructor has lessons go late. Really late. Then after a really long day of teaching, our instructor and another instructor go to Denny’s and have pancakes and talk softball until late into the night.

After a great evening of softball, the instructor gets into the drivers seat of the car and without giving it a thought takes the shortest route home which leads through a crime ridden neighborhood. And she knows well that this is a neighborhood where miscreants of all descriptions steal softball gear of all kinds to sell on the corner of Redclay and Diamond Avenue.

At a stop sign at the intersect of Gap Alley and Line Drive, a dangerous gangster produces a pistol and forces the Softball Instructor out of her car and steals her car AND her two buckets of softballs.

The cops come. They know this offender. She is the Pink Bandit and has a history of targeting softball instructors at this very intersection. The cops don't even look for The Pink Bandit though, because a softball instructor should have known not to be in that area at that time of day. It was the softball instructors fault for being at that intersection in her Lamborghini with buckets of softballs and a pink catchers mitt in plain view. It’s her fault for being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I don’t blame the cops. I blame the softball instructor for being there and flaunting her wealth of Dream Seams.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
What if
Runners can only approach home plate in foul territory.

No one can touch the foul line or they are over-stepping.
(like in tennis its out)

And maybe?
the area within the batters box proximity is nuetral.

Just trying to find solution

Dec 11, 2010
Oh and the Pink Bandits motivation is revenge. She resents never having enough practice balls when she was a kid.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
How about another analogy….

A catching instructor has lessons go late. Really late. Then after a really long day of teaching, our instructor and another instructor go to Denny’s and have pancakes and talk softball until late into the night.

After a great evening of softball, the instructor gets into the drivers seat of the car and without giving it a thought takes the shortest route home which leads through a crime ridden neighborhood.

At a stop sign, a dangerous gangster produces a pistol and forces the Softball Instructor out of her car and steals her car AND her two buckets of softballs.

The cops come. They know this offender. She is the Pink Bandit and has a history of targeting softball instructors at this very intersection. The cops don't even look for The Pink Bandit though, because a softball instructor should have known not to be in that area at that time of day. It was the softball instructors fault for being at that intersect in her Lamborghini with buckets of softballs and a pink catchers mitt in plain view. It’s her fault for being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I don’t blame the cops. I blame the softball instructor for being there and flaunting her wealth of Dream Seams.
Haaa too funny...

Well this instructor has encountered HORRIBLE area's to drive threw. In the middle of the night.
With criminal element litterally in the middle of the street.
Very ominous to say the least....
What did i do?
Did not stop!
Not even at red lights.
Drove right on threw.

North Las Vegas
And certain area's of Los Angeles

One time do to construction got side tracked into freakin worst area ever
And drove my truck with quads in the back up and over a curb driving on lawn so i could u-turn. As i saw bullet holes on all the buildings, i ducked driving away!!

Dec 11, 2010
But if you shouldn’t be there, how can anyone blame the criminal who accosts you? What happens when they block you in with the last car they car jacked? (That’s what happens in Chicago btw)

You should prevent it by not being there. Better route/mechanics and all.

You are saying it isn’t the criminals fault.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
287CFB24-A390-45A4-B0E2-B41FDE0D5E5D.jpeg

I’ve already stated that I think it’s interference, so not re-hashing that argument.

Just providing the above to state that the closest point from third to home is in fact the left front corner of home plate, and that if her foot was in the right corner of the RH batters box then she was more like 12 inches in fair territory at the time of contact.

Sorry for the crude drawing (it could be off by a few inches, but directionally correct).

Jul 5, 2016
Correct me if I am mistaken, but I don't recall seeing much dirty play in the televised softball I watch.

While fully recognizing that umping is a really hard job because you have to have 5 sets of eyes and deal with jerks from time to time, maybe the guidance needs to be to take a tougher line on collisions like this.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
View attachment 22645

I’ve already stated that I think it’s interference, so not re-hashing that argument.

Just providing the above to state that the closest point from third to home is in fact the left front corner of home plate, and that if her foot was in the right corner of the RH batters box then she was more like 12 inches in fair territory at the time of contact.

Sorry for the crude drawing (it could be off by a few inches, but directionally correct).
Very Nice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802