Interference Rule on Slide into Catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
OK, so when you ar rear ended in a car collision, are you accepting 50% of the blame because you could have moved out of the way, even though you could not see the other car? Trust me, I was sitting on a painted median once, prior to entering left turn lane, someone from right hit my car (softly albeit), even though I was somewhere I should not have been, did not relieve them of responsibility to watch where they were going.

and it is different than a SS and a runner on 2B to 1B double play, SS is facing the retired runner. and also rules are different now, deliberately attempting to break up a double play with no other legitimate purpose (like trying to beat throw) is actually AGAINST the rules. onus is on retired runners not to interfere, not certain why no one wants to accept this, except clinging to old school ways, that ended up with devastating injuries.

and at moment of contact depicted by Rad, catchers foot is actually in front right corner of RHB box (toes appear to be on line, heel say 10 inches inside, and maybe 6 inches from inside front corner). that is inside the baseline by a couple of feet by my calculations (please verify, HS geometry was a long time ago) based on NFHS dimensions.
View attachment 22642

Ohhh now i get it!!!
You were in a car accident and are irritated by the situation.
Really tho Not softball related.

Can you offer a solution?

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
Ohhh now i get it!!!
You were in a car accident and are irritated by the situation. That center lane analogy doesnt help your debate only on person is responsibile.

Really tho Not softball related.
the relationship was not being in ideal location does not absolve others of the need to avoid contact if possible. that the catcher COULD have been in better position is accepted, but does not absolve the runner of the dirty play. that is the point. two wrongs dont make it right.

Jul 5, 2016
So, you are saying that the baseline had become obscured in the course of play and if it was bright white as shown above, the dirty player wouldn't have done the dirty hit?

May 6, 2015
So, you are saying that the baseline had become obscured in the course of play and if it was bright white as shown above, the dirty player wouldn't have done the dirty hit?

no, I simply drew it in to show that the runner clearly was gunning for the catcher, not trying to score safely.

Dec 11, 2010
Rad, this isn’t an accidental crash caused because someone turned in front of someone else. It’s not like a situation that defensive driving could have prevented.

Its a deal where someone intentionally drove a car into another car. And didn’t care if someone got hurt. Like a juvenile delinquent teenager in a stolen car. The car isn’t being driven straight, it’s being intentionally aimed at the other car.

Thats a pretty big difference.

I appreciate where you are coming from but the catcher is out in front of the plate. How much farther in front of the plate does she have to be to prevent this delinquent from running in to her? Are you satisfied that this runner had no where else to go? Who slides to the front of the plate?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Rad, this isn’t an accidental crash caused because someone turned in front of someone else. It’s not like a situation that defensive driving could have prevented.

Its a deal where someone intentionally drove a car into another car. And didn’t care if someone got hurt. Like a juvenile delinquent teenager in a stolen car. The car isn’t being driven straight, it’s being intentionally aimed at the other car.

Thats a pretty big difference.

I appreciate where you are coming from but the catcher is out in front of the plate. How much farther in front of the plate does she have to be to prevent this delinquent from running in to her? Are you satisfied that this runner had no where else to go? Who slides to the front of the plate?
I was being silly bringing up more car accident junk...and deleted as to not come across as snarky.
;) because i wouldnt want anyone to think i was intentfully being disrespectful :)

But it is freakin hillarious to me how people simply dont want to accept even umpires will see things differently.
That in-itself says

Control what we can control.

Basically Simple result oriented suggestion!

Jul 5, 2016
Nobody is debating the importance of the catcher being positioned correctly. Although, as has been pointed out, the catcher was somewhat forward of the plate when taken out. Should she have been halfway up the 1st base line to avoid an intentional dirty hit?

Dec 11, 2010
* There is something every defensive player can do and that is Use Better Mechanics!

For a second here, let’s pretend we are in an imaginary world where there isn’t a photo of a runner changing direction toward the front of the plate and trucking a catcher a foot or so in front of the plate. We will pretend that the entire plate isn’t available to the runner.

This is hs softball. The catcher has about a 99% chance of never having the benefit of a catching lesson with a paid catching coach. She and every coach she has ever had probably have no idea what proper mechanics are. They probably all think hers are pretty good.

Not everyone has perfect mechanics. Most have never been taught. That doesn’t mean it’s ok to have your legs taken out. In front of the plate. Where 99% of RUNNERS DON’T RUN.

Dirty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802