Interference Rule on Slide into Catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
As an umpire, the plate umpire saw the force, and may have been looking to first when the contact was made. He may have thought " oh I may have missed something here". That's his job, to watch every throw to first, so he made the call at home, and looked at first for that play.......Or he might of saw the whole thing and made a bad non-call.

Aug 25, 2019
This sort of play was made illegal many years ago.

In NFHS, this is an ejection; there is no extra out for the malicious contact unless there was a clear double play on (I can't see first base so I can't see if that play was really available - just an attempt is not enough). since the runner was already out. However, as the runner coming home is clearly a retired runner, you can still go to an obvious double play call if needed on the interference - and call the appropriate runner out. As you can see, you can get caught out here even with the rule book in front of me - I totally missed an aspect of the play.

Most relevant rules below but it covered a couple of other places as well.

NFHS 8.6.14
A runner is out when:
ART. 14 . . . She remains on her feet and maliciously crashes into a defensive player. Malicious contact supersedes obstruction.

PENALTY: (Arts. 10 through 14) The ball is dead and the runner is out. Each other runner must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference. When a runner is called out for interference, the batter-runner is awarded first base and credited with a fielder's choice. If this interference, in the judgment of the umpire, is an obvious attempt to prevent a double play and occurs before the runner is put out, the immediate succeeding runner shall also be called out. If interference occurs by the runner on a foul fly ball, the runner is out and the ball is dead. A foul ball is called in this situation and the batter remains at bat unless it was a bunt attempt with two strikes on the batter (F.P.) or it was the third strike (S.P.); the batter is also out in these cases. (Art. 14) The runner is also ejected.

NFHS 3.6.18
ART. 18 . . . Initiating malicious contact is prohibited.
PENALTY: (Arts. 18, 19) Considered serious offenses, the offender shall be ejected. (Art. 18) If by the offense, the play is dead immediately, the offender is declared out unless she has already been put out or scored and all runners return to the last base touched at the time of the malicious contact (8-6-14). If by the defense, the offender is ejected at the end of playing action.

Why wouldn't the coach have approached the plate umpire about this? You should know this is illegal.

Also if I am the plate umpire, I am pretty sure I would have got the crew together to discuss what happened. There can be a lot of 'information overload' when this unfolds in front of you especially if you are focused on a different aspect of the call (in this case that a force at home was completed) and your partner is there to help talk it through and maybe provide info you didn't see or didn't process properly.

One totally unrelated thing that makes no sense:
- Is there a third umpire I don't see (but I should be seeing if he is there)? I am not sure exactly what the 3b umpire is doing? - yes I know no one is looking at him, but it caught my eye.
it looks like the 3b umpire was looking at runner coming into third, making sure she touched base

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
There is a link to a video on post #3

Dirty play. Slide marks and possibly deep catchers cleat marks would tell the hp ump everything he should need to know to eject her rear. He doesn’t have to replay it in his head, there is actual evidence in front of his nose.

Umpire: Do your job. Quit standing around wondering when the game will be over.

Defensive coach, what exactly is it you are doing? Point at the marks in the dirt, say SOMETHING. Come on.
As an umpire I never call anything I didn't see, it's not a crime scene, I'm not looking at slide marks and things. I've missed a few calls in my short career, and I've told coaches " I didn't see it, I'm not calling what I didn't see". Shame on me for missing a play, but I'm not changing a call because the coach says i missed it.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
It's pretty hard to get to interference AND malicious contact on a slide so close to a base, but this clearly qualifies. The runner's intent is obvious. Never ceases to amaze how girls will do things that would clear benches in MLB, and probably a men's church league.

I wonder where the dad is, because I don't hear or see him. I'd be livid.

However, better catcher technique might have averted or at least forced the runner to be even more
blatant about her intent.

May 6, 2015
It's pretty hard to get to interference AND malicious contact on a slide so close to a base, but this clearly qualifies. The runner's intent is obvious. Never ceases to amaze how girls will do things that would clear benches in MLB, and probably a men's church league.

I wonder where the dad is, because I don't hear or see him. I'd be livid.

However, better catcher technique might have averted or at least forced the runner to be even more
blatant about her intent.
yeah, I would probably get banished to parking lot if that had happened to DD

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
When you go through the video frame by frame, once the catcher caught the ball the runner took three steps before making her slide. She was also on the line when the ball was caught. I dont buy that she "just happened" to veer that far into fair territory by mistake.

Oct 26, 2019
I have 2 major thoughts after watching the video.

1. She totally did it intentionally. I am basing that solely on her almost serial killer sociopath total lack of a reaction after the took her out. Can we get a little “my bad catcher sorry I took you out while you were mid throw” reaction at least.

2. If I am the coach of the defensive team I am out on that field pretty quick arguing in support of my catcher. Or heck - at least out there to check on her. The poor girl is just laying there and no one seems too concerned by it.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I have 2 major thoughts after watching the video.

1. She totally did it intentionally. I am basing that solely on her almost serial killer sociopath total lack of a reaction after the took her out. Can we get a little “my bad catcher sorry I took you out while you were mid throw” reaction at least.

No kidding. I've made physical mistakes that caused a collision, but I've helped the guy up while apologizing. Lowers the temperature rapidly. With something intentional, you see the culprit slink away hoping not to get noticed.

Dec 11, 2010
As an umpire I never call anything I didn't see, it's not a crime scene, I'm not looking at slide marks and things. I've missed a few calls in my short career, and I've told coaches " I didn't see it, I'm not calling what I didn't see". Shame on me for missing a play, but I'm not changing a call because the coach says i missed it.
If you look at the video, I don’t know how he could miss it. Looking right at it.

And for the love of all that is good, if there is any questions about exactly where it happened, it’s there in front of his nose.

I assumed some of the umpires would stick up for this fence post with shin guards. Whatever.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Getting in on this discussion late and haven't read ALL of the previous comments. After looking at the video several times, I have enough blame to go around for things gone wrong. The slide is not a legal slide, it was late, the runners buttock is NOT on the ground, certainly not before contact. The slide is not directly into the bag (both/either of these are interference #1 in this play). The catcher does NOT provide a clear path to the bag (obstruction).

We have both interference and obstruction (not malicious contact as that requires remaining on your feet). The interference supersedes the obstruction so we have an out there. The now retired runner makes contact with the catcher in the act of making a further play. This is another act of interference and will result in the runner closest to home (the runner now at 3B) being called out, the B is awarded 1B (on a FC for those keeping score) and all other runners being returned to the last base occupied at the time of the (second) interference, unless forced to advance due to the batter being awarded 1B.

Result: Runner from 3 is out, runner from 2 is out, runners on 1 and 2 and 2 out (provided play started with 0 out otherwise, end of inning)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478