Interferance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 4, 2019
Texas
Ground ball hit between 2nd and third, runner at second going to third is hit by ball. Is there ANY situation/rule saying it would not be called a dead ball?

Sep 13, 2021
Yes, it all depends on where F5&F6 we're playing. Were the in front of the base path? Playing bunt defense? Without seeing the play or more detail hard to answer but short of it is yes.

May 29, 2015
NFHS Softball (2020)

Rule 8 Batter-Runner and Runner

Section 6 THE RUNNER IS OUT ...
A runner is out when ...

ART. 11 . . . The runner is struck with a fair untouched batted ball while not in contact with a base and before it passes an infielder, excluding the pitcher, or if it passes an infielder and any fielder has an opportunity to make an out.

Once the batted ball has passed by the first infielder (not the pitcher), it generally* stays a live ball. At that point, to quote the baseball brethren, "That's nothing!"

*Now, if it passes the first fielder and a second fielder has a legitimate play (pretty much has to be RIGHT THERE), the obligation remains.

All codes are similar.

TIP: Don't use where the infielders are playing to determine anything. It is irrelevant. Yes, they usually need to be playing in for this to happen, but from an umpire standpoint, that language is not part of the rule. Unfortunately, some new umpire who never opens a book will hear that from some old umpire who never opens a book and make part of "his rule."

Feb 13, 2021
MI
*Now, if it passes the first fielder and a second fielder has a legitimate play (pretty much has to be RIGHT THERE), the obligation remains.
Might want to check this statement. IIRC you only protect ONE fielder's ability to field a batted ball, make your choice as the umpire and the other has no standing for an interference call.

That being said, if, for instance 3B is playing and doesn't have a legitimate chance to play the ball, you can and should protect the SS playing at DP depth from interference, the fact that the ball has simply 'passed the fielder' (the 3B) doe not remove the responsibility of the runner to afford the SS the opportunity to field the batted ball.

However, if the fielders are RIGHT THERE as you describe, you are only going to protect ONE of them, generally the one the ball reaches first....

May 29, 2015
Might want to check this statement. IIRC you only protect ONE fielder's ability to field a batted ball, make your choice as the umpire and the other has no standing for an interference call.

That being said, if, for instance 3B is playing and doesn't have a legitimate chance to play the ball, you can and should protect the SS playing at DP depth from interference, the fact that the ball has simply 'passed the fielder' (the 3B) doe not remove the responsibility of the runner to afford the SS the opportunity to field the batted ball.

However, if the fielders are RIGHT THERE as you describe, you are only going to protect ONE of them, generally the one the ball reaches first....

Thank you @EdLovrich ... apparently I wasn't as clear as I thought I was.

By "right there" I didn't mean near the other fielder, I meant "has an immediate play". In other words, the ball up the middle passes F4 (who is moving, but does not have a play), but F6 is going to attempt a diving Top 10 play ... I'm not protecting that play. Another example would be an outfielder charging in. I'll protect it if the play is evident, not spectacular.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
So another situation; runner on third, 3rd baseman playing in, scorching liner whizzes past 3rd baseman between her and the foul line, but strikes runner who has taken only a step off the bag in fair territory. That runner is safe as well, correct?

May 29, 2015
So another situation; runner on third, 3rd baseman playing in, scorching liner whizzes past 3rd baseman between her and the foul line, but strikes runner who has taken only a step off the bag in fair territory. That runner is safe as well, correct?

Ground ball or line drive does not matter. I would say fly ball doesn't matter either, but that one would be a lot trickier to pull this off. ;)

Like @Lance Steckler said, get your butt into foul territory. Lest anybody start thinking they are going to take advantage of this, intentional interference is ALWAYS interference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598