Intentional walk

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 12, 2021
I saw it first time last night in a GA high school game. Batter went yard first at bat. Next two at bats she was automatically given first base with no pitches.

May 1, 2018
I did put a girl on by asking HP ump this weekend. Runners on 3rd and 2nd I told ump "blue put her on first" and he pointed.
Is it legal? No clue..... but it worked lol

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
We did it at an NSA tournament a few years ago. The parents went nuts. "You can't do that - these are 14 year olds!". Problem was, the batter we walked had already hit triples off our pitchers that weekend, and here we were up by one, bottom of 7, 2 out, and runners on 2 and 3....

Next batter came up and hit a hard grounder right at the batter we just walked and it hit her in the feet. She was out and the game was over...

CoachJ5513

BlueJ5513
Sep 29, 2010
Texas
All recommended changes were subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors. In Rule 2-65-2, the committee added language to include intentional walks into the fast-pitch game. The rule states that a request for an intentional walk can now be made prior to or during the at-bat by the defensive coach or catcher. ~2018

Oct 24, 2010
CIF High School it’s a no pitch intentional walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All high school using NFHS rules.

We did it at an NSA tournament a few years ago. The parents went nuts. "You can't do that - these are 14 year olds!". Problem was, the batter we walked had already hit triples off our pitchers that weekend, and here we were up by one, bottom of 7, 2 out, and runners on 2 and 3....

Next batter came up and hit a hard grounder right at the batter we just walked and it hit her in the feet. She was out and the game was over...

Parents might be right. Doesn't look like NSA allows for a dead-ball intentional base on balls.

Jul 31, 2015
Was done in baseball to reduce the number of pitches/save the pitcher's arm.
Why not give softball pitchers the same break?
Speeds things up too.

Aug 25, 2019
All high school using NFHS rules.

Parents might be right. Doesn't look like NSA allows for a dead-ball intentional base on balls.
NY High School softball uses USA Rules.

USA and USSSA both state 4 pitches must be delivered for an intentional walk.

I would like the no pitch go to first walk. I don't know what the argument is for throwing pitches, is it you hope the pitcher throws one the batter can hit?

Jun 8, 2016
Was done in baseball to reduce the number of pitches/save the pitcher's arm.
Why not give softball pitchers the same break?
Speeds things up too.
Was done to improve pace of play in MLB..didn’t really help 😂

Oct 24, 2010
[snip]

I would like the no pitch go to first walk. I don't know what the argument is for throwing pitches, is it you hope the pitcher throws one the batter can hit?

Lots of things can happen if the pitcher has to deliver the pitches. The no-pitch walk takes all that away from the offense.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478