Intentional HBP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Interesting article in the Atlantic about how some evil managers call for intentional HBP in baseball, and a screed against that practice.

When Pitchers Hit Batters, It's Assault. Why Does MLB Condone It in Baseball? - The Atlantic

For some bizarre reason, MLB is more popular in this country than softball, but I think the idea is the same. In a recent thread, just the suggestion that an intentional HBP would be acceptable got a VERY nasty reaction.

Reason: we care about our DDs and the other players.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Florida’s team wants to be HBP.

The pitcher occasionally throws at the batter but the intent to injury I do not think is accurate which is the point of the article.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
There is a big difference between a screwball that runs in on a batters hands/elbow and a fastball in the ear hole.

I saw a girl hit intentionally in a tourney recently. The girl had put some nice swings on a couple of balls the pitcher had thrown earlier in the game and there was a runner on third when she came up with a tie game in sixth inning. The head coach said to the AC calling the pitches, "Put her on." The AC gave a sign to the catcher and the next pitch plunked her in the ribs.

Feb 7, 2013
Agree that this intentional hitting of the batter nonsense has to stop. A guy hits a home run and he gets thrown at his next at bat, and then his team retaliates and throws at the pitcher that hit his teammate, and the cycle continues. I would make the penalties more severe (two or three week suspensions without pay) and you would get rid of this "unwritten rule" of baseball. I'm glad there are national articles shedding light on this barbaric practice.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
HC calls a lot of inside screw balls on aggressive batters to get them to back off the line then calls for outside rise balls. This has been very effective for us but like mentioned earlier sometimes those screw balls get too screwy and on occasion batters get hit. Not intentionally trying to hit the batters, sometimes a pitch slips is all

Jun 11, 2013
If you are going to teach kids to stand on the plate they are going to get hit with pitches. Pitchers have a right to pitch inside and some get away. I have no use for anyone that thinks it's OK to hit a kid on purpose. I don't care if they are 8 or 18 it just isn't right.

Feb 3, 2011
In a recent thread, just the suggestion that an intentional HBP would be acceptable got a VERY nasty reaction.

Reason: we care about our DDs and the other players.

That's because that guy was an idiot who wanted to prove to the room how "cool" he is with his juvenile and barbaric "I'll teach you!" mentality. I didn't respond at the time and I don't even remember who it was (he's not a regular poster, to my knowledge), but yes, if the response to this idiot's comment was nasty, then it was very well-deserved.

There should never be an intent to injure on any field of play.

Aug 8, 2010
I have seen a few pitchers in FP do it on their own, and heard more than that talking about doing it. Some of these DDs are more viscous than their brothers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keatonskidmore