Insurance coverage for 19yr olds in 18U?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Well TBH a lot of the high level & national tournaments specifically state in their tournament rules no college players allowed. I would think the local or regional tournaments probably don't have the rule so that's where the players home for the summer who want to play with friends would go, right?
Did not know about the "no college players" rule that a lot of tournaments have.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Did not know about the "no college players" rule that a lot of tournaments have.
Yeah. IDT, PGF, USA, TCS doesn't allow college players.

Personally, I'm not a fan college players playing.

2 Years ago, college pitcher (won HS 6A state-Tourney MVP-2019) was the asst coach of this team playing in a 16U/18U tourney. She pitched in this tourney!! First, if the team is playing in a mixed age division tourney, that means they didn't have enough teams for each age division and it's probably some hokey event. You know there were some 8th, 9th graders playing on these po dunk teams. In the grand scheme of things, I guess it doesn't really matter. But I still don't like it.

Aug 25, 2019
Just curious, but has coach, player, umpire had to use this insurance for anything? My D D got hurt twice playing school ball and we just used my insurance. The school said they would cover what wasn't covered by mine, but it was all good, never used the school insurance.

Apr 27, 2020
18U is 18 or under, but the date for deciding that is December 31st. Anyone born in 2004 or after can play 18u. The TD isn't deciding anything on their own. A player could be born January 1st, 2004, and play 8 months of 18u as a 19 year old. A player born Sept 1st, 2004 could be on the same team and never play 18u as a 19 year old. Our team just finished the last 16u season. Had a player with a January birthday that was 17 for all the summer tournaments. Same thing.

Only issue I could see people being upset about is a team full of girls playing in college showing up at a USSSA B or C tournament and rolling everyone. But that's a classification issue, not 18 or 19 years old issue.
So you are stating in your area...they allow all age groups to allow players to play down in their age group?

What you describe can be applied to 8U to 18U... Not saying it can't happen but there is a reason for the age cut offs and classifications of 18 and under etc...as posted with the USSSA age calculator....

In our area, (SW Ohio) if a team was to knowingly play a athlete that was above the age limit there would be game forfeited after the contest if the coach caught the infraction.

Apr 1, 2017
So you are stating in your area...they allow all age groups to allow players to play down in their age group?

What you describe can be applied to 8U to 18U... Not saying it can't happen but there is a reason for the age cut offs and classifications of 18 and under etc...as posted with the USSSA age calculator....

In our area, (SW Ohio) if a team was to knowingly play a athlete that was above the age limit there would be game forfeited after the contest if the coach caught the infraction.
It’s not my area, its the national rules.

They aren’t playing down. The rule is age on December 31st is the age for the season. If someone is 18 on December 31st, they can play USSSA 18u through the end of the season. The extreme example is a January 1st birthday. That player will have 8 months of legally playing 18u as a 19 year old.

Given how much girls bodies can change when they are 11,12,13, i’ve always thought that if someone wanted to be the 12u plastic trophy champion of the world, they would put together a team full of the best 12 january birthdays they could find.

May 27, 2013
DD’s travel team had 2 girls who went to college this past year. They have 2003 birthdays so technically are still eligible to play this summer on an 18U team (they played 23U instead). Some showcases would have allowed it (although pointless since they already play in college).

Aug 3, 2022
Hi all.

Just wanted to give you an update. I solved my insurance related question about how to cover 19yr olds for 18u softball (yes they are still eligible by usssa rules).

The short answer is that most Youth Team Insurance policies will cover my 19yr olds in 2023. They are 18 now.

The nuance is that Youth Team insurance covers up to age 18 AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE. And they do not factor kids aging out.

So since I am purchasing insurance now in Aug 2022 while my kids are under 18, all my kids will be covered for 12 months until August 2023.

Thank you for all your responses!

Feb 15, 2017
Well TBH a lot of the high level & national tournaments specifically state in their tournament rules no college players allowed. I would think the local or regional tournaments probably don't have the rule so that's where the players home for the summer who want to play with friends would go, right?
PGF doesn't allow any college players but if they haven't played for a college you're ok.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Aug 3, 2022
Just curious, but has coach, player, umpire had to use this insurance for anything? My D D got hurt twice playing school ball and we just used my insurance. The school said they would cover what wasn't covered by mine, but it was all good, never used the school insurance.
I have not seen it but there may be some negotiations between the insurance companies to split up the coverage money. My guess it's similar to what happens in a car accident. The two insurance companies try to get on a call to agree on percentage of "fault" and split up the coverage money accordingly. Only a guess though...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478