Injury Study

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
Overuse injuries are by nature caused by to many reps, of whatever movement caused the injury. Pitch counts would 100% stop the ignorant coach and parents allowing a girl to pitch 300-400 pitches in one day. Why do people do this? Because they are told windmill pitching is a natural motion and overuse is not possible. There is nothing natural about it, if it was it would not be so hard to learn and just about anyone could do it.

Do you know a lot of pitchers with overuse issues or injuries? I do not. I have been coaching for a really long time and it's just not an issue we run into. We communicate with our pitchers about workload and how they feel (never pitch tired, limit the number of warmup pitches, etc.).

It's just not something I see at the level and age we play at. It's a solution looking for a problem.

I don't know of any sane players throwing 300-400 pitches a day. If there is some bizzaro rec league with 10 teams and 3 pitchers then yes you should use pitch counts.

Common sense and money will prevent pitch counts in softball. I have been right for over a decade on this. You may think I hate pitchers or pitcher safety. It's just the opposite.

We need more pitchers and we do that by lessening the rules on leaping, crow hops, etc. These are the actual rule changes you see happening and not pitch count restrictions.

Nov 18, 2022
Do you know a lot of pitchers with overuse issues or injuries? I do not. I have been coaching for a really long time and it's just not an issue we run into. We communicate with our pitchers about workload and how they feel (never pitch tired, limit the number of warmup pitches, etc.).

It's just not something I see at the level and age we play at. It's a solution looking for a problem.

I don't know of any sane players throwing 300-400 pitches a day. If there is some bizzaro rec league with 10 teams and 3 pitchers then yes you should use pitch counts.

Common sense and money will prevent pitch counts in softball. I have been right for over a decade on this. You may think I hate pitchers or pitcher safety. It's just the opposite.

We need more pitchers and we do that by lessening the rules on leaping, crow hops, etc. These are the actual rule changes you see happening and not pitch count restrictions.

Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Do you know a lot of pitchers with overuse issues or injuries? I do not. I have been coaching for a really long time and it's just not an issue we run into. We communicate with our pitchers about workload and how they feel (never pitch tired, limit the number of warmup pitches, etc.).D

If all you do is ask pitchers, then no wonder. Pitchers lie their rear ends off. You might as well be talking to a wall.

Are you watching the kids? Are they icing after games? Are they taking Advil or other pain killers?

What level do you play? I've been to softball all over the US, and I see the same thing over and over again...the team rides their best pitcher on Sunday, and they might throw 3 or more games.

In HS, the problem is the pitchers throwing seven innings games on three or more consecutive days.

If there is some bizzaro rec league with 10 teams and 3 pitchers then yes you should use pitch counts.
You do play tournaments, right?

Common sense and money will prevent pitch counts in softball. I have been right for over a decade on this.
You've been wrong for over a decade.

I agree that we need more pitchers.

The way to get more pitchers is to stop pitchers from thowing so much, which would force teams to develop pitchers.

Sep 15, 2015
Do you know a lot of pitchers with overuse issues or injuries? I do not. I have been coaching for a really long time and it's just not an issue we run into. ….

It's just not something I see at the level and age we play at.

I’d also be curious where and what level you coach. I’ve met a fair number of pitchers over the last decade myself and I am struggling to think of any who never had an overuse injury. Not one.

Now, do they all require surgery? Of course not. But have they had to shut it down for more than two weeks, at least, at some point because they threw too much? Almost every one.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
it has already happened in the Little League association Minors/Little League (Majors): A player may pitch in a maximum of twelve (12) innings in a day. If a player pitches in seven (7) or more innings in a day, one calendar day of rest is mandatory. Delivery of a single pitch constitutes having pitched in an inning.. It is only a matter of time until it spreads.
This is basically the dumbest possible way to count it.

Just count pitches. Not all innings are created equal.

Aug 5, 2022
My kiddos quit pitching because they play other sports and there are only so many hours in the day. They could be outstanding softball players and play their other sports but they couldn’t put in the extra work to be outstanding pitchers and play the other sports too.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
... it’s important to remember that almost nobody was taught IR before 2005 or so....

Is that about when lots of people ditched videotape and converted over to digital video cameras with better slow speed capabilities?

Oh, how I miss the hours and hours going over and over the same VHS racks at Blockbuster trying to find something that interests me. Not.

May 13, 2021

Know them personally no. I do see people post in several groups I am in about it regularly. There have been quite a few college pitchers that have talked about having overuse injuries while playing travel ball. I dont know what level or age you play. At the tournaments I attend it is very common to see a girl pitch three games in one day or four games in two days. This happens because people have bought into the narritive of there is no such thing as overuse in softball. There is no way you can expect an athlete to limit themselves, because most just wont do it. They want to play and will do it to the detriment of there own health. You see it all the time with grown men and women .

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28