Injury Study

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
Is that about when lots of people ditched videotape and converted over to digital video cameras with better slow speed capabilities?

I think that has a lot to do with it, democratizing video availability so everyone can see and analyze for themselves (for better or worse).

Guys like Tincher and Pauley were way ahead of the curve on this, because they had daughters who pitched and they threw themselves into research and came up with some best practices that were at odds with the HE orthodoxy of the time.

I agree with Sluggers that repetitive motion injuries happen regardless of mechanics. My own DD is newly struggling with foot and ankle problems after seven years of pitching. But I have seen girls who wrecked their shoulders after just a few years of HE mechanics. It just puts too much strain on the shoulder which, getting back to the study, is another reason I don’t think you see too many pitchers with classic HE delivery by the time you get to HS. It just takes too great a toll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 28, 2017
HE around our area teaches to hit at 90 degrees and a lot pitch throughout HS like that and most have issues.

Nov 18, 2022
HE around our area teaches to hit at 90 degrees and a lot pitch throughout HS like that and most have issues.

That is terrible- those "pitching coaches" teaching that have to be destroying those kids knees and should never be allowed to coach again! On the other hand maybe they are married to the local orthopedic surgeon!

Nov 9, 2021
I would be curious about another variable not discussed and that is if the pitchers specialize in only softball. Some research suggesting kids that specialize in a sport have more injuries because of always using the same repetitive motions. Kids that play multiple sports tend to have less injuries. I would be curious if playing other sports could help prevent some pitching injuries as well by making the girls overall more athletic.

May 27, 2013
I often wonder if it is more of a genetic component involved which causes some athletes to be prone to the overuse injuries that we see? I do know that research has shown that some people are more genetically prone to tendon and ligament injuries; also connective tissue disorders such as Ehlers-Danlos also come into play.

May 21, 2018
I would be curious about another variable not discussed and that is if the pitchers specialize in only softball. Some research suggesting kids that specialize in a sport have more injuries because of always using the same repetitive motions. Kids that play multiple sports tend to have less injuries. I would be curious if playing other sports could help prevent some pitching injuries as well by making the girls overall more athletic.

Less injuries in general? Or are we singling out repetitive stress injuries? Purely anecdotal, but on DD's team the basketball girls are constantly injured. Ankles, fingers, concussions. Girls basketball must be a rough sport.

Nov 9, 2021
Less injuries in general? Or are we singling out repetitive stress injuries? Purely anecdotal, but on DD's team the basketball girls are constantly injured. Ankles, fingers, concussions. Girls basketball must be a rough sport.

Primarily overuse injuries. Injuries to joints, muscles and bones. Playing multiple sports strengthens multiple different muscles and helps the body to be more well rounded is the argument.

Jul 14, 2018
I would be curious about another variable not discussed and that is if the pitchers specialize in only softball. Some research suggesting kids that specialize in a sport have more injuries because of always using the same repetitive motions.

The over/under from the report was 11 months of pitching a year, so I’m guessing that’s a significant number of one-sport athletes. As jdint said, I know basketball players with tons of injuries, it’s a contact sport and there’s no give on a gym floor. Different stuff, like ACLs and broken fingers, concussions. Also rotator cuff tears like you see in baseball, from the overhead motion that softball pitchers don’t see much of.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood