Infield Player Positioning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2021
I’m new to coaching fastpitch. I’d like to ask the forum for any tips on how to get infield positions aligned properly at the 10u B level. I’m not particularly concerned about bunt scenarios but more like standard positioning.

Flank infield start inline with the base and creeping forward with the pitch?

Middle infield starting in the baseline and moving forward with the pitch?

Does middle infield shade up the middle with a runner on 1st?

Anyone have thoughts on how to keep defenders from getting in the base path and causing obstruction?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 5, 2022
Where your middle plays depends on the strength and skill level of your middles. I would say at 10u my middle was heels on the base path and a hop or a 1 step creep and a step towards second with a runner on first. Now at 16u she’s well behind the base path unless it’s a slapper and then she’s in the back pocket of the third baseman well in front. For runner coverage she still shades up the middle just a hair on the righty but 2b covers for the slapper and first base doesn’t charge the bunt…it’s an evolving game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 17, 2012
I wouldn't worry about guessing where the ball will be hit, so no shading. I would position individual players to be in a better position to cover a steal/bunt/hold runner.

As someone mentioned a hop is a great way to keep them focused. Lookup Auburn Hop iirc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee