Infield Masks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
About 7 years ago when I helped coach our LL All-Star team, the girls were doing BP and I filled in as SS (where I always would go). These were 11-y/o girls hitting front-toss. Girl hits the ball, I go down to field it, ball takes a bad hop and nails me right in the eye socket. An X-ray and CT scan later, I’m diagnosed with a fractured zygoma. Explaining the black eye to my patients that week was a little embarrassing.

Luckily, this came off the bat of a small 11 y/o and not a high-level 18U player! I would have been done. You never know what can happen - I never could have seen that hop coming - apparently there was a large pebble it hit just right.

Sure, it’s nice to have your full face showing in those local newspaper photos or on TV as a player, but is it truly worth a possible disabling or disfiguring injury?

Nov 18, 2013
Paige Lowary

She was hit about 5 years ago and I can’t recall any other D1 pitchers seriously hurt since then. I guess Miranda Elish, but that was a total fluke. Most D1pitchers can protect themselves and some choose to wear a mask just in case. I have no problem with that.

I’m all for young kids wearing masks too. I just don’t think position matters cuz they’re all at roughly the same risk.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Just Saturday, two pitchers got hit in the facemask by hard line drives -- in a small 4 team tourney. Called 911 for one of them it was so brutal.

One of the balls was caught by the center fielder for an out. How crazy is that?
bounced off of the facemask and was caught by the center fielder?

Nov 18, 2013
but loss of velocity is, ball is going considerably faster (ie impact has more force) when it hits 35 feet rather than 140 feet or more.

would you have all players wear catchers gear? distance (whether it be for more RX time, velocity, whatever reason) has always been a determining factor in what protective gear players wear. would you have QBs wear same gear as OL?
Yes, that makes sense in that the ball is traveling faster at the pitcher. I guess my point is a skilled pitcher can catch it or knock it down 99.99% of the time where a newbie OF is more likely to take it off the forehead.

All players wearing catchers gear would be silly, but if we listened to the arguments made as to why masks should be mandated it won’t be long til people start calling for it.

OL and QB’s do wear the same equipment. It’s just modified for their positions. I get your point though.

I’m cool with players wearing masks. I made mine do it until 16U. Then I left it up to her. I know there’s a risk, but it’s extremely remote. It’s even less likely to be a serious injury even if they do get hit. If a player or family want the added protection, go for it. I just think it’s a personal decision, especially for young adults in college. They’re smart enough to weigh the risks and decide for themselves.

May 6, 2015
I agree that at a certain age, it is up to the player (16u sounds about right), but it should never be a coach or teammate making them not wear it or feel like a lessor player for it. I am also OK with coaches saying if you do not wear one, ,you will not play 1B or P (I know beyond low level rec I would, simply not worth the possible emotional trauma for myself if girl got a devastating injury (ie potentiall life changing) on my watch). same reason I pulled my coach pitch team off the field after one inning once, home team used machine with rubber balls, first inning knocked one of my players out of the game, broker her nose (and she was good player, but not used to fielding juggs balls off a bat). I said not worth it even if odds were against it happeneing again.

and I think the chances of say a typical teenage b level pitcher knocking down a line drive right at her head are probably more like 80%. just that there are so few screamed directly at their head (maybe one or two a season for most), that is seems like it will not happen. only takes one. eyes are precious, ie irreplaceable (that is my main concern, far and above cosmetic, lost teeth, orbital or jaw fractures, even concussions, etc., but all of that would be enough for me).

and I doubt even newbie OFs will take if off the forehead, with enough reaction time even if they are not very skilled, they likely will miss it but dodge it, or if the will get glove on it at least to deflect. not talkkng about making the play, simply much lower odds of taking in the face.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Can remember this hitting student I had who came to a lesson one day and said
i chipped an outfielders tooth.
She said had hit a deep Fly ball to the fence and just as it was at the fence fielder must have took her eye off it and it tipped off her glove and hit her in the mouth.
Then she said ...well it's really not my fault she missed the ball.
I don not think it is crazy to have 10u / 12u OFers wear mask either. Everybody has seen the infield /outfield lip cause the ball to jump up and hit or nearly hit the younger player in the face. Those lips are dangerous.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Yes, that makes sense in that the ball is traveling faster at the pitcher. I guess my point is a skilled pitcher can catch it or knock it down 99.99% of the time where a newbie OF is more likely to take it off the forehead.

All players wearing catchers gear would be silly, but if we listened to the arguments made as to why masks should be mandated it won’t be long til people start calling for it.

OL and QB’s do wear the same equipment. It’s just modified for their positions. I get your point though.

I’m cool with players wearing masks. I made mine do it until 16U. Then I left it up to her. I know there’s a risk, but it’s extremely remote. It’s even less likely to be a serious injury even if they do get hit. If a player or family want the added protection, go for it. I just think it’s a personal decision, especially for young adults in college. They’re smart enough to weigh the risks and decide for themselves.
I have to ask. She wore a mask for 6 or 7 years and then decided not to wear one. What was her reasoning behind discontinuing wearing a mask?

Nov 18, 2013
I have to ask. She wore a mask for 6 or 7 years and then decided not to wear one. What was her reasoning behind discontinuing wearing a mask?
She had been playing at the highest level and could protect herself, she thought it affected her vision, too hot, uncomfortable. At the time there were still some coaches who didn’t like masks and they still weren’t popular with older kids. I’m sure that played a role in her thinking too.

I knew there was always a chance she could still get hit, but the odds were extremely low and even if she did the injuries would likely be superficial. I understand others feel differently and I respect that.

Jun 1, 2015
To me, it's simply about the risk and being proactive. I would rather take the chance that a girl wears a mask, gets hit, is still hurt but to a lesser extent than without a mask than to not wear one period. I will gladly take any heat for a girl getting hurt WEARING a mask because, in my heart, I was doing as much as I could to ensure her safety on the field. I encourage my parents to do their research before buying a mask - I never say, "Go get a cheap one just so she has it". I'd rather say, "Do some reading to make sure you get one that's worth the investment and will last season after season". A little bit of an investment now will save on a lot later on (possible medical bills, etc.)

I've made this point directly to the parents as well - it's non-negotiable. If a parent doesn't want their kid wearing a mask for whatever reason (this is 16U rec ball I'm talking here), they are free to go elsewhere, but I'm not risking it. Just because I have insurance for the team doesn't mean I want to have to use it. VERY few, if any, of my girls will ever play college softball - they aren't going beyond varsity once they get there. What they do for their HS teams is their choice, but as long as I have a say as members of my program, infield masks are not up for debate.

I see both sides of the argument - just expressing mine from what few experiences I've had. :)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
yes, any hit ball is a chance for injury to a fielder, but the argument for face masks for P, 3B, IF is really the possiblity of severe injury much higher for a P or 3B playing up the line, simply because they are closer to the initial point of contact, less reaction time, and ball moving considerably faster than any ball hit that gets through to OF (and that OF got a glove on it, which probably reduced the severity of the injury, might not have if they had about 0.25s to react after completing their motion).

chipped tooth (or black eye, bruise, even broken nose), while not being ideal, is a far cry from orbital fractures, broken jaw, completely lost or broken off teeth, not to mention possible vision issues, and of course brain trauma possible when someone is standing 35 feet from a ball coming off the bat at 80 mph
Pardon but that is a bit odd to debate
injury vs injury
VS
Limiting all injuries!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812