Increasing velocity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
There is definitely something to be said for different body types and weight-lifting. A good trainer will take various things into consideration when developing an individual program. For example, my DD’s trainer has her use dumbbells instead of the straight bar for bench press. As a long-limbed, lanky pitcher, he feels it’s safer for her shoulders. She mentioned it to her college trainer and he agreed.

Since she uses dumbbells, the weights she will be able to bench will be lower vs someone using the bar.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022
Fair point. I think in statistics so was more wondering what the upper decile or quintile looks like. My 14 year old recently did 225 3x in a hex deadlift 6 months in which seemed pretty strong to me, though I'm sure not off the charts. She's about 140lbs and we'll say average height.
225 on a barbell for a woman at any age is pretty good. I would even go so far as to call it a milestone, to go along with a 100lb bench press and 200 squat.

If I recall correctly a hex bar yields a higher max vs a barbell, but I would say 225 is still very good there. My daughter (almost 15) has deadlifted once a week on a hex bar for 4 months or so and I think she's doing sets of 8 around 100lbs. I'm not positive because I'm not there. She does a plan with her catcher who got it from a trainer she sees once a week. I've been very clear with her that I don't want her trying to max out at that age. She's 5'5 at 140 but a much more lanky, long arm kinda build. She can bench maybe 65lbs. My wife, at the same heoght and weight but more compact and leg dominant build, got under a bar for the first time and in two sessions took a shot at 100 and benched it easily. She did the same thing her first time doing a deadlift, just casually walking by a 130lb bar and picking it up seemingly effortlessly. I'm like "If you ever took this seriously for even 6 months you would be an animal." She wasn't into it though...lol.

I went to a crossfit gym for three years, which essentially gives you the opportunity to see everyone performing at their best. Most of the women who had been at it consistently for a couple years and pushed themselves a bit could bench 100, squat 200 And deadlift 225. They could do full pushups for consecutive, smaller sets, and could bang out large sets of knee pushups. In my observation, someone in high school with an average build and a couple years of consistent training should be able to reach these numbers.

The more upper body dominant women were benching up closer to 135 and could do small sets of handstand pushups. I did see one woman bench 155 as a max. Women aren't generally so stout in the upper body, but that's where genetics come into play. The more advanced (but who I believe were NOT using testosterone) women were hitting closer to 275lbs on the squat if they were lower body dominant, and I even witnessed one squat 350. It was super impressive because she wasnt a crossfit competitor, nor was she in the gym beyond average attendance. She was just naturally built a quadzilla. We only had two or three (out of 150 or so, largely college aged women) that were top level upper and lower body performance. They were hitting the high level numbers at both ends of the spectrum.

Jan 25, 2022
That isn't lanky. My kid is somewhere between 5'8" and 5'9" and weighs 115 lbs..that is lanky 😂
Wow lol.

I guess I could call it a straight build? Was always skinny when she was little but even now just has very evenly distributed weight, yet still (imo) a thin appearance. She has no idea what she weighs, though. At a doctor visit Friday I snuck a look at the scale and saw 142. The nurse asked if she wanted to know and she was like "nah."

I'm SO glad she has that mindset. I said "keep thinking that way."

I would never have guessed 142 though. I was thinking 130. Her older sister is 5'4" and a little under 120. Different build too.

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah she is #3..she might be 120 by this point ;)

326343649_1254384111779737_17242989984343277_n.jpg

I guess I could call it a straight build? Was always skinny when she was little but even now just has very evenly distributed weight, yet still (imo) a thin appearance. She has no idea what she weighs, though. At a doctor visit Friday I snuck a look at the scale and saw 142. The nurse asked if she wanted to know and she was like "nah."

I'm SO glad she has that mindset. I said "keep thinking that way."

I would never have guessed 142 though. I was thinking 130.
No reason for a kid to know what they weigh. Eat healthy foods (3/4 of the time..unlike our old asses a cheat once a day isn't going to kill them) when you are hungry, get enough sleep and exercise. When they get to HS get in a gym and lift with the intent of making progress in the 6 to 10 rep range while keeping your form perfect. Obviously routine (exercise selection,frequency,volume, etc) needs to thought about. Before HS they can do something like the Wasserman Youngblood Strength program. DD has been doing that for the last 8 or 9 months.

I got reemed on twitter by a Mom of a kid in DD's org because I responded to a tweet of her squatting that she need to stop chasing squat numbers and focus on her form more. Contacted org head and everything.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I got reemed on twitter by a Mom of a kid in DD's org because I reponded to a tweet of her squatting that she need to stop chasing squat numbers and focus on her form more. Contacted org head and everything.. :rolleyes:

See it quite often on Twitter and it makes me shudder to watch some HS kids obviously struggling through a high weight with bad form just to post the number. I have no problem with it if they are using proper form under the watchful eye of a good trainer.

Jun 8, 2016
See it quite often on Twitter and it makes me shudder to watch some HS kids obviously struggling through a high weight with bad form just to post the number. I have no problem with it if they are using proper form under the watchful eye of a good trainer.
Yeah..lady tagged OU in her response as if me trying to help a kid not get injured is going to get me fired.. 😂

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12