Increasing velocity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I think weight training has helped my daughter this off-season. While she hasn't seen speed jumps, her core and trunk are much stronger, which has led to her mechanics being cleaner. She's still throwing hard, but her control is better because everything is stronger and more together.

Apr 8, 2019
A few questions: Was your DD already pretty strong relative to her peers? Did she throw during the lifting period? Was there any speed element to their workouts?
It's fair to say that she was stronger than average, but she increased her strength in the weight room quite a bit. She still throws as much as she did before. The workouts are professionally designed with softball performance in mind. So strength, power and speed are all trained to some degree.

Though it hasn't helped with pitching velo, it has made a positive impact on her hitting.

Oct 26, 2019
It's fair to say that she was stronger than average, but she increased her strength in the weight room quite a bit. She still throws as much as she did before. The workouts are professionally designed with softball performance in mind. So strength, power and speed are all trained to some degree.

Though it hasn't helped with pitching velo, it has made a positive impact on her hitting.
Sometimes the impact from the weight room doesn’t show up immediately. I asked about her overall strength because for some weaker kids they see bigger gains quicker. Strength is the low hanging fruit for those kids. For others who have a better strength base it may not have the immediate effect, but it may show up in other ways or more long term.

Nov 18, 2013
DD lost about 5 mph between freshman and sophomore year of HS. It was a combination of working more on movement pitches than speed, injury and a new PC. Didn’t regain her top speed again til senior year. Over the course of four years in college she picked up roughly 3 mph. The increments come a lot less frequent once they get above 60.

Jan 25, 2022
No offense to OP intended, but I can't believe anyone with a 13 year old throwing 59 is concerned about increasing speed. Let the kid finish growing and filling out while she works on movement. 59 just for a basic fastball at that age is way ahead of the game most of the time.

Oct 31, 2021
I would never discourage time in the weight room. But in my very small sample size of one 15 year old, weights have not increased velocity like we hoped they would.

My daughter's HS team hired a strength coach and she works with the girls every school day. DDs lifts have exploded. She's literally the strongest girl on both of her teams and it isn't even that close. But her velocity has not budged.

Honestly I would not have believed it if I didn't witness it in person. She's not going to stop lifting. But the results have been disappointing.
I can share one example. My daughter (also 13) has benefited 5mph since strength training. But it is hard to say only strength training. In her case, she is also a year-round swimmer so she has always looks a bit more muscle developed in her shoulders and quads from swimming. She has that broad shoulder swimmer look. When we went to her trainer, he identified that she was disproportionately weak in her hips. She also had some mechanical issues with turning her drive foot as she launched into her pitch. He noted that fixing the hip flexor strength and mobility would help make that change easier. Sure enough after about 6 weeks she has mostly fixed that flaw and seems to be much more explosive. Her strength coach seems to be right because he helped her fix the weakness the existing strength can be more efficiently applied. When we went to her pitching coach she had gained 5 mph.

Also related to this topic, I asked one pitching coach her opinion on top end speed for 12U and below. She said the age wasn't as much a factor as mass. Her take was that she had never seen a girl under 110 lbs throwing above mid 50s. Most of the younger harder throwers are just bigger. Some could be early development or just genetics of being above average height/weight etc....

Another pitching coach has girls working on grip strength. She is making the case that your fingers are the last piece to touch the ball and so they impact. She has measured and her hardest throwing girls and they tend to have the best grip strength. I tend to think not just grip but overall they are likely to be the stronger girls.

My take is that after you have mastered the mechanics and can efficiently move after that it is tough to add MPH. Things like % of fast twitch muscle, overall size, general strength and competitiveness factor to determine a girls max velo. I can't change the genetics of the girl's skeleton (i.e. how tall or broad etc...) or the % of fast twitch muscle fibers. But you can make the fast twitch she has stronger and build overall strength. That will help her maximize what she has for more explosiveness and will also help her increase mass. Muscle weighs heavier so if you fill out the skeleton without compromising mechanics it will help with velocity.

May 27, 2013
I can share one example. My daughter (also 13) has benefited 5mph since strength training.
I think what we have to keep in mind here is that at 13, your dd is probably still growing and densifying, so velocity increases can also be attributed to that. When my dd started weight training around age 16-17, she was already done growing, so velo increase was very minimal (if any) with weight training alone.

Oct 31, 2021
I think what we have to keep in mind here is that at 13, your dd is probably still growing and densifying, so velocity increases can also be attributed to that. When my dd started weight training around age 16-17, she was already done growing, so velo increase was very minimal (if any) with weight training alone.

That is true. But the specific 6 weeks didn’t see much change in height or weight. I think it was more about fixing the weak link in the chain. I think more girls should strengthen their core and hips. Might let them transfer the strength they have better.

In your daughters case like mine going forward I think it will be a slow grind adding 1-2 MPH per year. I do think strength training will be a critical part of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 1, 2023
Also related to this topic, I asked one pitching coach her opinion on top end speed for 12U and below. She said the age wasn't as much a factor as mass. Her take was that she had never seen a girl under 110 lbs throwing above mid 50s. Most of the younger harder throwers are just bigger. Some could be early development or just genetics of being above average height/weight etc....

First time for everything, My 12 year old DD at 106lbs. Has hit 59mph. Pretty consistent hitting 57mph. Some coaches hate her mechanics, though. One big-name instructor at a clinic told her she was losing a lot of speed with her mechanics

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478