In need of bucket parent 101

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2018
I like the rug, where did you come across that?
I had it made from a company that sells custom doormats - it's not perfect, but the girls seem to like the target lines. Apparently the rug people shrink stuff. The design I sent was to scale, so black would be perfectly on the edge of the plate, then yellow would be the the next ball out, then the batter's box. Still works for what I intended. Works for hitting too!

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I had it made from a company that sells custom doormats - it's not perfect, but the girls seem to like the target lines. Apparently the rug people shrink stuff. The design I sent was to scale, so black would be perfectly on the edge of the plate, then yellow would be the the next ball out, then the batter's box. Still works for what I intended. Works for hitting too!
That's great! I just ordered a colored plate with the extended width for 1 or 2 balls off, but the extra length your rug has is making me jealous. I guess the downside is it's too big to roll up and fit in a bucket.

Nov 18, 2015
Last time I caught for her I took a bad hop to the tibia so hard I wasn't sure it hadn't cracked. It made this awful sound I can only describe as someone getting hit in the face with a raw chicken breast.
Fortunately for my monitor and keyboard, I was not drinking anything as I read this.
Also, get a flat home plate. Eliminates the chin burgers.
Flat plate - good: https://www.baseballsavings.com/cha...MI8OTQsuPe_AIVBIrICh3DlAFEEAQYAyABEgKuaPD_BwE

Rubber raised plate - bad: https://baseball.epicsports.com/pro...MI8OTQsuPe_AIVBIrICh3DlAFEEAQYASABEgKdC_D_BwE

"Bullpen" style plate that you may find @ a field - oh hell no: https://beaconathletics.com/store/f...MI8OTQsuPe_AIVBIrICh3DlAFEEAQYAiABEgLznvD_BwE

I will NOT crouch down behind anything with that big of a lip.

Rubber plate - no drop balls or low FBs

It only took a session or two after she started trying to throw a drop that I implemented the "no lip" rule. (Plate related - I'm sure there's other Dad's who have a similar rule, intended for objects 35/40/43' further away)
I agree that you would be better off in the crouch, but who can keep that up?
A one knee stance is actually comfortable, and helps with the lower target. But I wouldn't recommend it just yet for the OP.

Sep 13, 2021
Hearty salute to all the crouchers. Ain't no way I can bail fast enough unless I'm on a bucket. On low stuff that shows even the slightest sign of being uncatchable, I'm kicking my legs to the opposite side and getting the F out of Dodge.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Hearty salute to all the crouchers. Ain't no way I can bail fast enough unless I'm on a bucket. On low stuff that shows even the slightest sign of being uncatchable, I'm kicking my legs to the opposite side and getting the F out of Dodge.
There's no need to bail when you're wearing gear. Yes, crouching isn't easy on older knees, but the knee savers really help a lot. Also, I'm in pretty good shape for my age, so crouching isn't that bad for me, but I've seen some dads who really strain the plastic they're sitting on. I don't suppose they're good at crouching.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802