In need of bucket parent 101

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
I'm thinking I might go to a mask soon regardless.
If there is any once piece of equipment I always wear it’s a mask. DD’s first PC wouldn’t allow anyone to catch if they didn’t wear one. There’s been a few teams I’ve probably saved a few of my teeth by wearing it. Drop or CU hitting the plate and bouncing up or just an unexpected misfired pitch can cause some damage, even at lower speeds.

Jan 25, 2022
If there is any once piece of equipment I always wear it’s a mask. DD’s first PC wouldn’t allow anyone to catch if they didn’t wear one. There’s been a few teams I’ve probably saved a few of my teeth by wearing it. Drop or CU hitting the plate and bouncing up or just an unexpected misfired pitch can cause some damage, even at lower speeds.

I had an easy one catch the edge of the pocket and fly off behind me. A problem for me is that a lot of times I try to look at one aspect of her mechanics then find the ball again, and as she gets faster that becomes more difficult to do safely. That happened the same day as the tibia incident...lol.

I'm also thinking I may hang a tarp behind her to isolate the ball in my field of vision a bit better.

May 27, 2013
I had an easy one catch the edge of the pocket and fly off behind me. A problem for me is that a lot of times I try to look at one aspect of her mechanics then find the ball again, and as she gets faster that becomes more difficult to do safely. That happened the same day as the tibia incident...lol.

I'm also thinking I may hang a tarp behind her to isolate the ball in my field of vision a bit better.
Yes, that is my main issue now - seeing the ball. When she was home over break we went to the local indoor baseball facility and the lighting isn’t the greatest. Couple that with my aging eyesight and sometimes I have a tough time picking the ball up clearly until it‘s almost too late.

Jan 25, 2022
Yes, that is my main issue now - seeing the ball. When she was home over break we went to the local indoor baseball facility and the lighting isn’t the greatest. Couple that with my aging eyesight and sometimes I have a tough time picking the ball up clearly until it‘s almost too late.

I don't catch at all without my contacts in. They're not critical otherwise.

Why must we aaaaaage like this??

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Not advice. But all the safety toe shoes posts remind me of when my dd was learning the drop curve. So many balls at my feet. So I decided it would be smart to wear steel toe shoes. So one pitch was low and I was on the bucket and reached forward. I was barely perched on the edge of the bucket and the ball skipped under my glove. Hit that steel toe at about 54 mph and shot straight up my leg.

As a father you can imagine the tender bits that are straight up one’s leg. I heard a woosh of air and realized it was me. It was that pain that you taste before it registers.

I’m now on the barn floor, on my side and I look over at my dd who is literally inching her was toward to door to go get mom. I told her I was OK and give me a minute. Then I said it’s ok if you laugh as I knew it must have looked hilarious. Composed myself, caught 2 more pitches and told her we were done for the day.

I never went after a low pitch after that. Never sat on the edge of the bucket either. Less then a year later I was in a catchers helmet shin guards and a cup every time we practiced.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I've shared the story before, but I'll share it here again. My daughter broke my toe on a change-up. I was wearing full gear, but I had on regular sneakers. The ball got under my mitt and just above the ground in that perfect spot to hit my toe. I was on a bucket when it happened, and I'm certain it wouldn't have happened had I been in a crouch. 20220807_134546.jpg

Jan 6, 2018
I find a really old office chair real low allows me to simulate a crouch and seems to protect my feet. Before that a short stool but I like the ability to swivel. My throwing hand is where I assume most bucket dads keep it.

Also, get a flat home plate. Eliminates the chin burgers.
20230122_113820.jpg

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I find a really old office chair real low allows me to simulate a crouch and seems to protect my feet. Before that a short stool but I like the ability to swivel. My throwing hand is where I assume most bucket dads keep it.

Also, get a flat home plate. Eliminates the chin burgers.
View attachment 27264
I like the rug, where did you come across that?

Sep 3, 2015
I agree that you would be better off in the crouch, but who can keep that up?

I remember when I used to get on the bucket with flip flops, in the 12u days. As DD got faster, it got a little scary.

Bail on anything low, be careful for any ricochet, the more often you do it the better you will get. Pretty soon it will be no big deal. And now you deserve ice cream (beer) after practicing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598