Immediately Removing The Flex

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2014
This is one of those situations that I think is okay, but I want to clear it with some of the rules experts. This would occur in a NFHS game.

I have a pitcher-only who I would like to be able to bring into a game but not start the game. Can I list her as the Flex on the line-up card but immediately after turning it in sub my DP into her spot on defense?

I know that when I would bring her back into the game to pitch that I would be using her one re-entry for the game. I also believe that this doesn't do anything to the DP because they are never being subbed for. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Aug 25, 2019
I believe the strategy is that the flex spot is still in play, so you can bring in the flex pitcher later in the game (that's a sub) and move the DP who was pitching back into the DP spot.

Oct 11, 2018
What's the strategic reason for this? Why not just sub her in normally when you want her to pitch?
If you bring the FLEX back in later you can continue ot leave the DP to bat. This is often done when you have one pitcher who is a better hitter than the other pitcher. The DPs bat can stay in the game.

Jun 22, 2008
What's the strategic reason for this? Why not just sub her in normally when you want her to pitch?
Because a straight sub would require the bat of the dp to leave the game.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Because a straight sub would require the bat of the dp to leave the game.

Sorry, I meant why use the relief pitcher as the FLEX at all? Why not just have her sit the bench until you want to put her in, then sub her in. If you don't want her playing the field, this seems like a waste of the FLEX spot. I'm missing something here.

Edit: I understand the DP/subbing issue. What I'm saying is why even bother tying this pitcher to the DP? Just... sub her in when it's time for her to pitch for whomever you'd like.

Jun 22, 2008
Same reason as I just said. Maybe this girl has a horrible bat and you don't want to remove any bats from the lineup. A straight sub would require replacing a good bat with a bad one.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Jul 22, 2015
Sorry, I meant why use the relief pitcher as the FLEX at all? Why not just have her sit the bench until you want to put her in, then sub her in. If you don't want her playing the field, this seems like a waste of the FLEX spot. I'm missing something here.

Edit: I understand the DP/subbing issue. What I'm saying is why even bother tying this pitcher to the DP? Just... sub her in when it's time for her to pitch for whomever you'd like.
You have 9 good bats and she's not one of them. This way you get to keep all 9 in the lineup regardless of whether or not the flex needs to pitch later.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee