illegal pitches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Do not know if that is a Rouge blowing smoke.
Definitely know that adjustments/amendments to rules are made in the game to accommodate the 'influencers' of the direction of the game.

Jan 22, 2011
This seems completely consistent with the May 2012 Clarification. I guess I am not getting your point, or see where they are blowing smoke. And this is not an "Article", it is a rule clarification.
If Kelly Barnhill had stayed with Stanford I probably wouldn't care what she was doing with her foot :)

I have no desire to delve into wasting electrons, but just pointing out when discussing Barnhill we need to recognize there are differences between USA, USSSA, NFHS, College, and international rules.

Leaping was not allowed in USA Women or Youth FP prior to 2022. I checked in my 2018 and 2016 copies of the rules and probably can find my 2012 and 2014 books if I dig around in my box of softball books.

I would love to see an official detailed description of what a crow hop is and video of what it is. It doesn't look like she is gaining much, if any, of an advantage in this video. but of that isn't a replant, I don't know what would be called one.

It would be simpler if USA softball would adopt the men's requirement to keep the toe pointed downward.

I splurged for front row seats behind home plate at a USA National Team exhibition game in 2016. Since my DD had been called twice for leaping about two weeks prior, she refused to watch Kelly pitch. She looked down at the ground. I paid extra for a meet and greet with the USA National Team and my DD refused to talk to or ask Kelly for an autograph.

My DD and I both think the rules should be enforced as written, or changed. If USA softball would clarify the rule, then the lives of millions of innocent electrons would be spared.

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
If Kelly Barnhill had stayed with Stanford I probably wouldn't care what she was doing with her foot :)

I have no desire to delve into wasting electrons, but just pointing out when discussing Barnhill we need to recognize there are differences between USA, USSSA, NFHS, College, and international rules.

Leaping was not allowed in USA Women or Youth FP prior to 2022. I checked in my 2018 and 2016 copies of the rules and probably can find my 2012 and 2014 books in I dig around in my box of softball books.

I would love to see an official detailed description of what a crow hop is and video of what it is. It doesn't look like she is gaining much, if any, of an advantage in this video. but of that isn't a replant, I don't know what would be called one.

It would be simpler if USA softball would adopt the men's requirement to keep the toe pointed downward.

I splurged for front row seats behind home plate at a USA National Team exhibition game in 2016. Since my DP had been called twice for leaping about two weeks prior, she refused to watch Kelly pitch. She looked down at the ground. I paid extra for a meet and greet with the USA National Team and my DD refused to talk to or ask Kelly for a autograph.

My DD and I both think the rules should be enforced as written, or changed. If USA softball would clarify the rule, then the lives of millions of innocent electrons would be spared.

Here is a NFHS umpire training video I've posted before, demonstrating the crow hop. It is totally consistent with the rule clarification I posted, as well as the rules you posted.

NFHS Umpire Training Video on Crow Hopping

Jun 8, 2016
Thanks! Now I just need to find out what pitching rules Alliance uses, since my DD will mostly be playing that this summer. PGF uses NCAA pitching rules.
Probably depends on what alphabet is running the tournament they are playing. I don't think they have their own set of rules..

Jan 22, 2011
PGF Rules and Regulations

PGF operates under the rules and guidelines set forth by National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS)

Alliance is using USA softball rules.
Says they are using NCAA rules for part of it, but it might just be for signal taking, and NFHS for the rest. My daughter is now just a position player who very occasionally eats an inning as an emergency pitcher, so I haven't fully dug into PGF rules.

1653403366949.png

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Leaping was not allowed in USA Women or Youth FP prior to 2022. I checked in my 2018 and 2016 copies of the rules and probably can find my 2012 and 2014 books if I dig around in my box of softball books.

I splurged for front row seats behind home plate at a USA National Team exhibition game in 2016. Since my DD had been called twice for leaping about two weeks prior, she refused to watch Kelly pitch. She looked down at the ground. I paid extra for a meet and greet with the USA National Team and my DD refused to talk to or ask Kelly for an autograph.

Good reads!

Unfortunately even to clarify better, people will still have conundrum trying to figure out what they see compared to what someone else sees 🤷‍♀️

Jan 22, 2011
I was wrong, it was 2017. Disappointed that Heather Tarr wasn't there, as I wanted to meet her and chat for a minute or two. We got to sit for dinner with Delanie Gourley and talk pitching some. I was polite and did not mention anything about her college teammates pitching.
20017544_10155685191217259_1298779502896323795_o.jpg20220524_081222.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802