Illegal pitch or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2018
Playing in a 10U open USSSA tournament last night, and the pitcher was doing what appeared to be a “step back”. As coaches we were talking about it during her warm ups, and as the the game started the base ump called time and told her coach she was pitching illegally. The coach was emphatic that it was not illegal and that this exact wind up was allowed at the younger levels. The umpires called the UIC over and after a 10 minute delay they were still unsure and allowed her to continue pitching as she was. Honestly we weren’t going to make an issue about it, knowing our hitters should still be able to catch up to her. I only ask the question so I can understand all the variances in the rule.

So I’ll try to explain how she was pitching. She would take the sign with her hands at her sides and the ball in her hand, both feet on the rubber. She would step back 12inches or so with her stride foot while bringing her hands above her head coming together. At this point she would pause slightly (sometimes) then come forward and pitch.

(1))So is this illegal period? (2)Is it a legal pitch because of the pause at the top making it a “start back”? (3)If this is legal would it still be legal if she started with her hands together at her belly bringing them up together and then pitching? So experts help me out with understanding. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Legal.

Step back and start back legal for usa, usssa and nfhs/hs

Start back only legal for PGF, college

Usssa director and UIC should be fired. It isnt that hard and they have had plenty of time to get it straight for their own sanction.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
:)
It doesnt matter if its illegal or legal...
a strike or a ball...
foul or fair...out or safe...
The umpire is always right! ;)

Thats what i know about it...
Enjoy!

May 25, 2018
Legal.

Step back and start back legal for usa, usssa and nfhs/hs

Start back only legal for PGF, college

Usssa director and UIC should be fired. It isnt that hard and they have had plenty of time to get it straight for their own sanction.

@marriard ; thanks for the response. I feel like I asked a stupid question now. I was under the impression USSSA used the “start” back version. I guess I’m the one that should be fired for not knowing.hopefully I’ll get to retain my volunteers salary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 21, 2008
start back or step back, either one is legal in USSSA. The fact that people STILL don't know the rule changed is sickening.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The fact that most pitching coaches still dont know the rule change and arent adjusting their coaching and using the rule to make their pitchers faster with more leverage, more momentum is equally as sickening. If you are paying for private lessons and your DD's PC doesnt know about or understand the rule you should find another PC. IMO

Oct 11, 2018
So I’ll try to explain how she was pitching. She would take the sign with her hands at her sides and the ball in her hand, both feet on the rubber. She would step back 12inches or so with her stride foot while bringing her hands above her head coming together. At this point she would pause slightly (sometimes) then come forward and pitch.

I only do USA softball so I am only commenting related to USA rules. USA rules changed this off-season and now allow either a step back or the stride foot behind the pitcher's plate. As of 2020, USA does not require both feet in contact with the pitcher's plate although it is still legal to do so. The main limitation in USA is that the step back must occur before the hands separate to start the pitch. Once the hands separate, all motion must be forward. (Rule 6.3.3)

Feb 25, 2018
So, in USA rules the step back needs to happen prior to separating the hands (page 142). Would anyone call an illegal pitch if the pitcher steps back AS they’re separating their hands? Let’s say 18u play.

Oct 11, 2018
So, in USA rules the step back needs to happen prior to separating the hands (page 142). Would anyone call an illegal pitch if the pitcher steps back AS they’re separating their hands? Let’s say 18u play.
Hard to interpret your "As they're separating their hands". Rule says, if they want to step back, must do so before hands are separated. If hands come apart before pitcher finishes her backwards step, I would read that to be illegal. (speaking USA)

Feb 25, 2018
Hard to interpret your "As they're separating their hands". Rule says, if they want to step back, must do so before hands are separated. If hands come apart before pitcher finishes her backwards step, I would read that to be illegal. (speaking USA)

Thanks! I saw a pitcher whose step back started right when she split her hands. Illegal pitch wasn’t being called.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478