Illegal pitch called

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Still not going to solve the problem of a generational lack of umpires.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

hulk-time-travel.gif

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
No rule saying the ball can not be in the glove when simulating taking a signal, but some umpires think it has to be in the hand. My DD’s pitching coach always said humor that umpire instead of trying to get him to admit he is wrong during a game and just have it in her hand.
Is that an old fashion rule? I remember when my dad played fast pitch in the 70s/80s people used the term "Presenting the ball." Was that a real rule at one time or is it a myth like "tie goes to the runner?"

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Side note in the regional championship the third base umpire kept telling our coaches they were going to call an illegal pitch on our other pitcher for not pausing at state (not sure why they didn’t during the regional game). Not the same pitcher during this game.

The comment was made that you were warned in the regional. Not even the same kid. Not the same crew either.

Of course both of the opposing pitchers we faced leaped but no call.
There's your answer...
The Regional Ump saw Pitcher A not pausing (in his judgement) and said you're going to get called for it at state. (Why didn't he call it at Regional makes no sense.)

He tells his Umpiring Cronies "When you see Tango's pitcher make sure you call her for not pausing. I warned them at the regionals."

Crony says, "I'll get her."

So crony calls it because he knows it's going to happen, and he's going to straighten your pitcher out, not realizing it's not the same pitcher.

At some point Crony realizes she is pausing, or he thinks he fixed her, and he doesn't have to call it anymore.

I've seen this crap before. Our local LL had a girl who eventually went D1 & she was really fast especially as a 10 year old pitching from 35 feet. She pushed and dragged like a pitcher does. An opponent's coaches wife was screaming at everyone, but especially the high school kid umping that it was illegal because her foot must maintain contact with the pitcher's plate through the whole delivery. No biggie... no one listened to her.

Then when we played on their field their ump called every pitch illegal because "The pitchers foot must maintain contact with the pitcher's plate through the entire delivery." Keep in ming it's Little League, so these are volunteer umps. He didn't know the rules and would have never noticed her foot, but someone told him to call it so he did. This isn't the only time I've seen it, I've seen it a million times.

Jun 20, 2015
had one this weekend. pitcher never paused. I went and asked the ump. Do they still require stepping on the rubber, hands apart and pausing for at least 1 sec?? He replied yes. And my next question was, "when is she going to pause for the first time, cause it's the 2nd inning and hasn't paused once yet?"

his silence spoke volumes as to his competence. morons are everywhere.

May 29, 2015
An opponent's coaches wife was screaming at everyone, but especially the high school kid umping that it was illegal because her foot must maintain contact with the pitcher's plate through the whole delivery. No biggie... no one listened to her.

Then when we played on their field their ump called every pitch illegal because "The pitchers foot must maintain contact with the pitcher's plate through the entire delivery." Keep in ming it's Little League, so these are volunteer umps. He didn't know the rules and would have never noticed her foot, but someone told him to call it so he did. This isn't the only time I've seen it, I've seen it a million times.

Back when I was an administrator and coach, we had to bring in some out of town teams and organizations to partner with. One of them had this listed in their rules and their novice coaches believed this to be true. When they showed me the binder they were given with their "house" rules in it, I pointed out to them what was obvious to me. Their administrator had copied and pasted BASEBALL rules in, since it it referred to the pitcher as "HIM" and "HIS."

May 29, 2015
had one this weekend. pitcher never paused. I went and asked the ump. Do they still require stepping on the rubber, hands apart and pausing for at least 1 sec?? He replied yes. And my next question was, "when is she going to pause for the first time, cause it's the 2nd inning and hasn't paused once yet?"

his silence spoke volumes as to his competence. morons are everywhere.

My unscientific analysis of this has found that this is the single most uncalled illegal pitch in the game. I do not understand why other umpires are NOT calling this. It was a major POE in NFHS within the last few years!

Jan 22, 2011
My unscientific analysis of this has found that this is the single most uncalled illegal pitch in the game. I do not understand why other umpires are NOT calling this. It was a major POE in NFHS within the last few years!

UIC at that 8u tournament I did a couple games at this past weekend said to call the rulebook, so the coaches learn now, and umpires for the next 10-15 years don't have to hear they that they didn't call it in 8u. He does some D2 college games. (Slight exaggeration, but don't be the umpire that makes an umpire get grief in a few years when that umpire actually enforces the rules).

One game I ended with a runner from second passing the runner from third as R3 was getting back to 3B for a tag up for the last out. Hated having to call it, but it's the rule.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802