Illegal pitch called

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
UIC at that 8u tournament I did a couple games at this past weekend said to call the rulebook, so the coaches learn now, and umpires for the next 10-15 years don't have to hear they that they didn't call it in 8u. He does some D2 college games. (Slight exaggeration, but don't be the umpire that makes an umpire get grief in a few years when that umpire actually enforces the rules).

One game I ended with a runner from second passing the runner from third as R3 was getting back to 3B for a tag up for the last out. Hated having to call it, but it's the rule.
Amen to that. Not calling it may make your life easier at that moment, but it makes it rougher on the rest of us the rest of the time.

Mar 1, 2013
One of my partners called an IP with a runner on third in a tie game, bottom of 7. It was a good call and the right call - catcher set up way out of the box trying to set up the intentional walk. Visiting team was “unhappy”. Oh well.

Jul 2, 2013
My unscientific analysis of this has found that this is the single most uncalled illegal pitch in the game. I do not understand why other umpires are NOT calling this. It was a major POE in NFHS within the last few years!

And it's one of the easiest IPs to see from behind the plate. I get it when an ump misses something small with the pitcher's feet or something like that but when a pitcher does this consistently it's hard to miss.

Jun 22, 2008
So was the replant, but I've never seen it called.
Granted I have been out of NFHS for a few years but prior to that I never saw any point of emphasis regarding replant. In fact, 10+ years ago the Florida athletic association put out a series of videos describing what they said were several illegal types of pitches. One of these videos indicated that the drag foot must have the toe pointed down and that foot could not bear weight again once it left the pitching plate. Both NFHS and USA softball, (ASA at the time) put out very similar statements saying nothing in the rules said the drag foot could not support weight again and that as long as the foot drug away legally the pitcher was legal. USA even labeled the pitching style as "push drag push" or "crowdrag".

If the pitcher is leaping out and landing, then the pitch was illegal because of the leap before the replant. Some associations have begun to allow the leap, NFHS as yet has not.

May 29, 2015
^Which is going to make things worse.

Do you see the logic though? The alphabets that are in business to make money are allowing it, while the scholastic organizations that are more about the game are holding firm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee