Illegal pitch called

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
Our catcher calls the pitches by calling out the number on the card (different). They called an illegal pitch for not simulating getting the signal from the catcher. The catcher actually calls the pitch. Weird

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Our catcher calls the pitches by calling out the number on the card (different). They called an illegal pitch for not simulating getting the signal from the catcher. The catcher actually calls the pitch. Weird
I believe the pitcher has to pause once she on the pitcher's plate to "simulate" getting the signal whether or not they need to or not. Can't get on the pitcher's plate and go into her windup. Prevents quick pitches.

Mar 1, 2013
She gets the sign already on the rubber with hands apart
Doesn’t matter. She still has to simulate taking the sign once she steps onto the pitcher’s plate. Actually taking the signal is not needed to satisfy the rule.

As noted, it’s to prevent quick pitching.

Penalty is an illegal pitch.

Jan 28, 2017
Doesn’t matter. She still has to simulate taking the sign once she steps onto the pitcher’s plate. Actually taking the signal is not needed to satisfy the rule.

As noted, it’s to prevent quick pitching.

Penalty is an illegal pitch.
Let me try again. She gets on the rubber with the ball in her glove and hands separated. The catcher gives her the numbers. She looks at the card and brings her hands together and pitches. I think she met all the rules but maybe missing something. Definitely didn’t step on the rubber and pitch. The only thing that’s different is that she may not have looked up before she rocked back but she got the signal from the catcher so does she have to?

Mar 1, 2013
She has to simulate taking the signal. Have her pause, look in at the catcher, then begin her motion.

Did the umpire that called her on the illegal pitch say why or are you assuming it was the not taking a signal from the pitcher’s plate?

Also, it’s a pitcher’s plate not a rubber :) That’s a baseball term.

Jul 27, 2021
Let me try again. She gets on the rubber with the ball in her glove and hands separated. The catcher gives her the numbers. She looks at the card and brings her hands together and pitches. I think she met all the rules but maybe missing something. Definitely didn’t step on the rubber and pitch. The only thing that’s different is that she may not have looked up before she rocked back but she got the signal from the catcher so does she have to?
Every game has its quirks. Just like adjusting to the strike zone, there are other things to adjust to.

Had more than one ump require that "you show the ball for at least a second" as a pitcher. That's right, ball had to be visible and with a time attached.

Jan 28, 2017
S
She has to simulate taking the signal. Have her pause, look in at the catcher, then begin her motion.

Did the umpire that called her on the illegal pitch say why or are you assuming it was the not taking a signal from the pitcher’s plate?

That’s why I don’t understand it. She didn’t simulate, she got the signal. How do you simulate it if you are getting the signs from the catcher.

3-2 count on the Leadoff batter and struck her out but called illegal. Only earned run and we won the State Championship. Just thought it was a bogus call.

He said she didn’t simulate getting the signal.

Jan 22, 2011
No rule saying the ball can not be in the glove when simulating taking a signal, but some umpires think it has to be in the hand. My DD’s pitching coach always said humor that umpire instead of trying to get him to admit he is wrong during a game and just have it in her hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22