Illegal/Ineligible Players?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I would make sure you understand the age requirements of your league. Unless the suspected overage players are STUDs I personally would not make a stink about it. Sometimes you get siblings and friends who want to play together and 8U in not worth getting worked up over....just my $0.02.

I agree that it is not something to get worked up over, and I have never personally protested even though I have had suspicions. The trophy just isn't that important to me... However, after my first year of coaching travel ball I attempted to avoid tournaments that didn't check rosters. I realize it is always possible to cheat no matter what rules you put in place, but even basic rules will eliminate some of the cheating.

Jun 12, 2015
If you win by cheating, you didn't actually win. Do they not know that? I learned that playing board games with my dad when I was like, 2.

Jun 25, 2013
For me this was as much curiosity than anything- not worked up at all. I grew up in other sports and there were things that just came with the territory. I wasn't sure if this was one of those things in travel ball. Our coach didn't recruit a girl who was born 12/31/05- poor thing worst possible bday. Even though she desperately wanted to play. They said rules are rules, we can't. I respect them for that. I don't want my child to play for a coach who's attitude is "cheating is ok as long as you don't get caught." There are so many more lessons being learned than just how to play the game. Thanks to everyone for your responses. It has been very helpful.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Yes have seen it in many tourneys that never check the players. We got second in a 14u and were suspicious about a few players being called names that didn't seem to match any names on the roster. The girls did checking after tourney, found one player posted a photo, so our girls fwd the photo to a cousin at a high school we knew many from that team were from. The cousin confirmed, several of the players were seniors. I told the girls we are not going to do anything, but just be proud we almost beat a team of cheatin ringers.

Soccer requires every player to present their players card to the ref before every game. Each and every association, from rec to professional. Why hasn't softball started this?

I just ask to see their driver's license.

May 18, 2009
I always joke that the third baseman from one of our competitors is over age. I always ask the ump to check her drivers license, 10U. She looks giant on the field but 10/11 close up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13