if you're not going to swing at strikes...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
As a pitcher Dad, I can say that most hitters are stupid (when it comes to game tactics).

They swing at the first pitch after the pitcher just walked two batters. (They aren't paying attention in the dugout)

They are the home run hitter, and the pitcher is throwing off the plate to them, and they swing at 3 in a row.

The previous 3 batters struck out looking at 2 strike curveballs, and they do the same.

Etc.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I HOPE they're advocating for, "Swing if it's your pitch". However, I've known coaches that advocated never swinging at the first strike. My DD always exempted herself from that rule.

I hit leadoff and my HS coach made me take a strike each at bat (the rule not called). Played at a small school and hit leadoff from 8th grade until college. Normally 6 hole in college and I couldn't swing without having a strike on me. College coach would go banana's every strike, which was every at bat.

I'm advocating for players to have a plan, and sometimes that plan involves taking the first pitch. Sometimes it involves being ready to swing at the first pitch. And it can also depend on the player. I rarely tell every player in the lineup to take the first pitch unless the pitcher is incredibly wild (we're not waiting for walks, but teaching players to not help pitchers out by being over-aggressive is important).
Enjoying reading the stories
and the application of well balanced,
thought out strategy,
that acknowledges not all situations nor players are the same!!!

*Especially like @CoachJD's comments as they apply to
Calling pitches also!!!
(Wouldnt have pitcher do same sequence of strategy every batter.
Certainly wouldnt want to throw a 'strike just for a strike' every first pitch. Locations are better than fatties.)

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
This not unusual in baseball..not saying it is right, only not unusual.
:)
is that a statistical difference between the two sports?
Every first batter in an inning takes more?
Wonder the difference in #'s.

Really not a bb game watcher, cuz i'm in the bb game taking a nap catagory. ;)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Yes, it's a baseball thing. The idea is to get the pitcher to throw more pitches to tire them out earlier, or if it's a league using pitch counts to get them to their limit sooner. I've mostly seen it at younger ages where pitchers can't throw strikes consistently.
... like eating up the time clock!

Jun 8, 2016
:)
is that a statistical difference between the two sports?
Every first batter in an inning takes more?
Wonder the difference in #'s.

Really not a bb game watcher, cuz i'm in the bb game taking a nap catagory. ;)
There are a lot of things that are sort of passed down over the years in baseball. The idea is for the leadoff batter (in his first AB of the game) to see a few pitches to let his team get a feel for the pitcher..not saying it is effective only what has always been done. To be honest I watch less MLB now then I used to so this sort of thing may not go on as much anymore, in particular with the use of analytics (which may or may not advocate for this sort of thing..)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
There are a lot of things that are sort of passed down over the years in baseball. The idea is for the leadoff batter (in his first AB of the game) to see a few pitches to let his team get a feel for the pitcher..not saying it is effective only what has always been done. To be honest I watch less MLB now then I used to so this sort of thing may not go on as much anymore, in particular with the use of analytics (which may or may not advocate for this sort of thing..)
Do you think how often mlb bb switches pitchers plays a part?
Made sense dbronstein's post as to youth league strategy and pitchers limited on how many pitches they can throw.

Jun 8, 2016
Do you think how often mlb bb switches pitchers plays a part?
Made sense dbronstein's post as to youth league strategy and pitchers limited on how many pitches they can throw.
Yeah, the OP I was replying was with regards to a leadoff hitter taking a few pitches in his first AB but I guess bringing in a new pitcher could be similar except at that point you may have runners on base.

Jan 28, 2017
Enjoying reading the stories
and the application of well balanced,
thought out strategy,
that acknowledges not all situations nor players are the same!!!

*Especially like @CoachJD's comments as they apply to
Calling pitches also!!!
(Wouldnt have pitcher do same sequence of strategy every batter.
Certainly wouldnt want to throw a 'strike just for a strike' every first pitch. Locations are better than fatties.)

I'm short and hit LH, at the time not many LH hitters in our area (I'm old). Set a school record my 9th grade year for walks with 43 (I believe in 24 games). Senior year hit 525 which was a record but has been broken. I'm not sure about the walk record. Not many proud of a walk record. LOL. One of my favorite dad's called me a poor man's Tony Gywnn. Very poor! I understood how limited I was and I wasn't very talented.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I'm short and hit LH, at the time not many LH hitters in our area (I'm old). Set a school record my 9th grade year for walks with 43 (I believe in 24 games). Senior year hit 525 which was a record but has been broken. I'm not sure about the walk record. Not many proud of a walk record. LOL. One of my favorite dad's called me a poor man's Tony Gywnn. Very poor! I understood how limited I was and I wasn't very talented.

Whatever it takes is what I tell our players. I don’t care how you get to 1B. Hit, Walk, or HBP. Just find a way to get there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12