if you're not going to swing at strikes...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I'm short and hit LH, at the time not many LH hitters in our area (I'm old). Set a school record my 9th grade year for walks with 43 (I believe in 24 games). Senior year hit 525 which was a record but has been broken. I'm not sure about the walk record. Not many proud of a walk record. LOL. One of my favorite dad's called me a poor man's Tony Gywnn. Very poor! I understood how limited I was and I wasn't very talented.

Be proud of that walk record! I once played in a double header. I went 1-2 with 7 walks in the two games. I remember just a handful of my baseball games from when I was younger, but I'll never forget that day.

Jan 28, 2017
Be proud of that walk record! I once played in a double header. I went 1-2 with 7 walks in the two games. I remember just a handful of my baseball games from when I was younger, but I'll never forget that day.

We were ranked #2 and playing #3 team in the state. Our pitcher played for the Mariners and the other teams pitched in college. We won 21-19. Scored 7 runs, 2-2 with 5 walks. Also made 5 errors thatcost us 6 runs. I was plus 1

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I'm short and hit LH, at the time not many LH hitters in our area (I'm old). Set a school record my 9th grade year for walks with 43 (I believe in 24 games). Senior year hit 525 which was a record but has been broken. I'm not sure about the walk record. Not many proud of a walk record. LOL. One of my favorite dad's called me a poor man's Tony Gywnn. Very poor! I understood how limited I was and I wasn't very talented.
At Long Beach we had a player who had a very impressive walk average.
Almost reliable'ish.
She would battle, foul, battle, foul, battle pitcher would throw 8-9 pitches to her. And walk. She was methotical and almost never took big swings.

Jan 28, 2017
At Long Beach we had a player who had a very impressive walk average.
Almost reliable'ish.
She would battle, foul, battle, foul, battle pitcher would throw 8-9 pitches to her. And walk. She was methotical and almost never took big swings.

i could foul it out of the catchers mitt better than most. My DD has all kinds of pop and it drives me crazy seeing her take pitches. Lol

Dec 15, 2018
CT
“If you’re not going to swing at strikes”….I think the corollary to this is “if you’re going to swing at every first pitch strike it better be one you can drive”.

my dd is lead off hitter, but is Uber aggressive, and seems to take it personally when a strike is called.

It feels like the avg pitches/AB is 1. And it’s generally a smoking double or a weak pop up. Trying to not coach the aggression out of her while teaching her that if you are going to hack at that first one it better be a pitch you can drive. As I write this I realize the way out is probably to teach her how to drive those outside corner strikes.

ok, I’ve answered my own thoughts…gonna leave this here anyway…rainy Saturday with no games and the mind goes crazy….

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Of course, first 2 AB this morning she works the count 3-2 with a ton of fouls, and ends up grounding out and popping out. Last AB gives me a look, smokes 1st pitch to center…

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Originally my post had nothing to do with first pitch strikes at all.

It was actually prompted by the multiple looking at strikes and looking at strike 3 outs watched in a short news video about one of the wcws pitchers doing such a great job shutting down the other team.

EXCUSE ME...:)
But the other team
Shut themselves down
By NOT swinging.

Geeez atleast BUNTING would have been better then
'statue with a bat'

Phew... Had to say that ;)

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Originally my post had nothing to do with first pitch strikes at all.

It was actually prompted by the multiple looking at strikes and looking at strike 3 outs watched in a short news video about one of the wcws pitchers doing such a great job shutting down the other team.

EXCUSE ME...:)
But the other team
Shut themselves down
By NOT swinging.

Geeez atleast BUNTING would have been better then
'statue with a bat'

Phew... Had to say that ;)

One of my biggest peeves is a strikeout looking. DD and I have had a lot of discussions about not letting the umpire decide for her when she has two strikes on her. Be smart, but if she even remotely thinks it’s a strike (she has good pitch recognition) she better be swinging and not leaving it up to blue.

Jun 22, 2019
Interesting tactic
Not swinging at first strike.
What situations would you consider not swinging at it?

Anyone share to this?!

Ahead in the count.

One DD will crush a low inside pitch the other likes the ball up in the zone. I’m fine with them looking for their pitch if they are ahead in the count.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Ahead in the count.

One DD will crush a low inside pitch the other likes the ball up in the zone. I’m fine with them looking for their pitch if they are ahead in the count.
Okay thats being selective with the option to still swing at the first strike.
Just for conversation...
Is not the same as letting all first strikes go by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood