If you are complaining within the first month of being on this team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2020
From what I've seen, by the time questions escalate to complaints the player is leaving regardless of how things get addressed. So why bother? If a coach isn't willing to answer questions then that is a red flag, but if a parent is popping up out of the blue with complaints it is on them, and the team is better off without them and their kid. If it is within the first month then that family either joined without asking the appropriate questions, or in bad faith under the delusion that the rules don't apply to their kid.

Jun 8, 2016
Not all complaints are created equal. What if the coach was demeaning, etc?
A “Why are you such an a$&hole?” (that is a complaint…) right before you tell them to take a hike could help everybody(current and future players) out..

Aug 9, 2021
No context as to what the actual complaint was, so it's hard to speculate on the specific situation. However, if I had a "complaint" about a team within a month, I would not need the coach to tell me that my daughter was on the wrong team.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
It’s basically saying “I don’t like hearing you complain.”
Simply said Great resonse!

As its own point @Catdad brought up
When parents are complaining to other parents do they actually think it won't get back to the coach?!
Or is it the purpose to get their comments/complaints back to the coach?! Gossip train
Could have been complaining to the other parents and it got back to the coach.
And imo there’s a lot to be said for that. Parents talk and gossip, the girls listen or pick up on it.
I’ve seen it in other sports. A college football coach near me recently was fired or quit (or “left to spend more time with his family “🤣) because some of his players parents got on social media to rip on him after losses…or so I’ve heard. Poisoned the whole team’s mindset

radness

Dec 13, 2019
My first reaction is why would a parent complain to the coach? Coaches speak with their actions.
That's a good question!

What is the result parent is hoping to achieve by bringing a complaint.

How many people adults coaches are going to change what they're doing or who they are because somebody walks up to complain about them?

Last edited:
May 11, 2018
I think with orgs that have proven coaches and a history of almost all players going to college to play. the default (maybe this isn't the org for your daughter) is how they handle all complaints. The line does work, it either makes the player work harder or they leave and someone else is glad to give it a shot. I have never complained just heard from other parents. My DD's org uses this phrase constantly Play time, too many games, not enough games, not enough travel and more. All the parents i have heard from about this their DD's are still with the org and playing can't think of one who actually left.

Jul 19, 2021
As its own point @Catdad brought up
When parents are complaining to other parents do they actually think it won't get back to the coach?!
Or is it the purpose to get their comments/complaints back to the coach?! Gossip train
I think they just can't help themselves and have no filter. Frustration boils over and they let things slip that they have been thinking about.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
That's a good question!

What is the result parent is hoping to achieve by bringing a complaint.

How many people adults coaches are going to change what they're doing or who they are because somebody walks up to complain about them?
Well sometimes they complain in a group. They try to leverage their strength to get what they want like to add or not add a certain player(s) to the roster or to play or not play a certain tourney or even playtime. And you wonder why coaches want big rosters.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I think they just can't help themselves and have no filter. Frustration boils over and they let things slip that they have been thinking about.
Absolutely reasonable that would happen. Perhaps some but do think
Others are purposely throwing caution to the wind of any repercussions that would fall of it...

@El Oso @Rolling Hard ...@others
what do you think happens more...
Complaining is on purpose or it's neglect to repercussions?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Absolutely reasonable that would happen. Perhaps some but do think
Others are purposely throwing caution to the wind of any repercussions that would fall of it...

@El Oso @Rolling Hard ...@others
what do you think happens more...
Complaining is on purpose or it's neglect to repercussions?
I will overhear complaints or my wife will tell me what so and so is talking/complaining about. And I tell them, you all have coaches phone number and e mail and in fact he is standing right over there. Go talk to him or her! He is very approachable. To answer your question, it is on purpose and they probably want me to advise the HC of their feelings/ complaint. Now that I think about it, I am feeling used. LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802