IF THE PITCHER

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
IF THE PITCHER almost never threw fat strikes, *because she has control...
👉What would you do?
👉Would this even affect your approach?

Feb 20, 2020
I guess it depends on how close she is to hitting her spots with her pitches. She's going to at some point run into umps who aren't going to give her what she needs, so she has to be able to just throw it fast and hard over the middle, at least every now and then, or the stuff that's close never gets swung at.

As a hitter, you have to go into each at bat making her hit those spots. Make the ump give her stuff, and then keep bats alive as long as you can.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Lol...
its a simple post,
Doesnt matter what the pitcher is throwing,
its this
The pitcher has control and almost never throws fat strikes.

What would you do?
Would this even change your approach?

Dec 11, 2010
12u and below: don’t read this!

If the umpire is calling them…. Expect inside and adjust outside?

Great hitters are big zone hitters.

Sep 19, 2018
Overall, if the pitcher has great command, you need to be more agressive in the zone. However, I think the pitchers 'stuff' does matter. AJ Burnett had wipe out stuff. He did not always have command. The days he had is command, mlb hitters were way more agressive early in the count. Once you were down 0-2, 1-2 it was over.

At the end of his career CC Sabathia was a command guy. When his knee wasn't barking, he was still really good. While no one wants to be down 0-2, 1-2, hitters weren't overly agressive early in the count on pitchers pitches.

I often think that comparing our 12 yo girls to MLB hitters is a fools errand. So maybe my example are as well.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Overall, if the pitcher has great command, you need to be more agressive in the zone. However, I think the pitchers 'stuff' does matter. AJ Burnett had wipe out stuff. He did not always have command. The days he had is command, mlb hitters were way more agressive early in the count. Once you were down 0-2, 1-2 it was over.

At the end of his career CC Sabathia was a command guy. When his knee wasn't barking, he was still really good. While no one wants to be down 0-2, 1-2, hitters weren't overly agressive early in the count on pitchers pitches.

I often think that comparing our 12 yo girls to MLB hitters is a fools errand. So maybe my example are as well.
To that comment compairing MLB hitters to what youth should do...
it makes me laugh when i see folks doing that. Understand why, as most grew up with baseball.
For me its a different sport.

Can look at mechanics,
But still obvious vast differences
in every catagory of the human body. From brain to brawn.

Atleast theres a few thread/comments in dfp technical hitting looking at analyzing womans swings from college.
Much more relative for girls to connect seeing others girls as role models.
If there were more mens fastpitch video that could have more relevance because its the same sport.

Just my .02's

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802